Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS is Windows XP Media Centre but should be Windows XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 besscella

besscella

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hi,

My computer was recently infected by malware and I had some help here in getting that sorted out.   

However my problem now is that my computer is currently running Windows XP Media Centre but before I tried to fix the malware infection, my computer was running Windows XP Professional.  In fact when I look up my System Information, my OS is listed as being Windows XP Professional. 

However if I right click on My Computer and go to properties and click on the Advanced tab and click on Settings under the Start up and recovery section, and if I look at the list of operating systems that are on my computer, then Windows XP Media Centre is listed as the  current operating system in operation, and there's no sign of Windows XP Professional.  I find that very odd.  I have a Windows XP Professional CD.

In line with the missing files thing or corrupted files, I have a program that runs in DOS or using Dosbox and it's not working properly.  It's basically a lottery program from Smartluck.com.  I've been in touch with the Technical Support team there and he seemed to think that my problem had something to do with the codepage that deals with ASCII characters.  My program now has weird characters where there used to be lines  etc and it's making the program unreadable.  I was hoping you might be able to help me sort that out too please.  Thanks.

My knowledge of computers is limited, so if you wouldn't mind, when you do offer some help, will you please make it step by step and be very clear about the order in which you want me to do whatever I'm supposed to do.  Thanks.

here is the link to the forum 'Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs' where I got help from Nasdaq:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507926/possible-malware-infection-pc-is-running-wrong-version-of-windows-xp/

I hope you can help.  Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers,

Sharon.

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hi

To anyone interested in helping me out here, I just wanted to say that I've taken a part of this post - the part about the DOS program called Advantage Plus from SmartLuck.com and posted it in the DOS/PDA/Other forum.  I would have posted it there in the first place if I'd known it even existed.

As luck would have it, I didn't spot that forum until after I'd posted the above very large post.  So please ignore the bits about the DOS program.

I'm still looking for help in restoring my computer to running Windows Professional, please.  Thanks.

I tried to edit the earlier post to delete that information but I couldn't find the edit button.  Sorry about that.

Kind Regards,

Sharon.

Mod Edit:  I edited original post - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

FWIW:  For all intents and purposes...Windows MC is just a slightly stripped down version of Windows XP Pro.  If you have a Windows XP Pro CD...and it reflects the same SP as is on your system...then you can run the sfc /scannow command to attempt to repair missing/damaged system files.

Personally...if it were me...I'd just do a clean install of the O/S, after saving any valued data files...rather than trying to patch/repair an install that dates back to 2005.

OTOH...if the system runs well and the only concern that you had involved the O/S designation...I would just keep using the system as is.

If the system is not current with critical updates...I suggest that you correct that immediately.

Louis

#4 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for that.  I'll probably do as you say, and leave well enough alone, as my system does seem to be working fine as is. 

My only concern now is that the System Information states that my computer is running Windows XP Professional when it clearly isn't running that version.

How do I get my System Information to correspond with what the computer is ACTUALLY running?

Cheers,

Sharon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users