Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GSM Cell Phone With Dual SIM Card Slot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

First of all, let me state that I know close to nothing about cell phones.

I might be interested in purchasing a quad-band (GSM), dual-SIM card cell phone. The idea is that if I have to travel to a European country I could purchase a second SIM card there and install it in the cell phone.

Questions:
1) What are the caveats about purchasing such a phone? For instance: Will the cell phone monitor incoming calls to either SIM card phone number? What about using SIM cards from two different providers?
2) Where would I find an online site that has tested and recommends particular brands/models? Paramount for me, besides cost, is voice quality, ease of setup and use. (I only need a phone that handles voice and text, so I am looking for a basic phone.)
3) How do I know if a phone for sale is a smart phone or a standard cell phone? For instance, is this a "regular" cell phone or a smart phone?  http://www.cells4u.com/Samsung-E2222-Unlocked-Phone-p/sgh-e2222-grey.htm

4) Can you recommend a basic cell phone with the characteristics that I mentioned?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

3) How do I know if a phone for sale is a smart phone or a standard cell phone? For instance, is this a "regular" cell phone or a smart phone?  http://www.cells4u.com/Samsung-E2222-Unlocked-Phone-p/sgh-e2222-grey.htm

I can only really help with #3.

There are actually three types of phones (at least that I am aware of): basic phones, feature phones, and smartphones.

Basic phones are pretty easy to distinguish from the others. Generally, they will only make calls and send texts. They will typically have a very basic address book, which is mainly for storing phone numbers and either nothing or not much else. They generally will not have any data connection/function at all, but might be capable of very, very basic data connections. And they will generally have just a numeric dial pad...i.e. no "full" keyboard. Basic phones are becoming much more rare, at least with the major carriers in the US.

The line between feature phones and smartphones has really blurred.

It used to be that big difference was the ability to run third party applications that do all kinds of things. While this is still a rather significant difference, even this has started to blur.

These days the easiest way to tell them apart is price. Generally, smartphones will be $500 or more (in US dollars) if you by one at retail price (i.e. non-subsidized phone cost), while feature phones will generally be about half that cost at retail cost.

Generally speaking, smartphones will either be running Android OS (something that will be listed in the specs), some model of an iPhone, running one of the Windows mobile OS versions (again something that will be listed in the specs), or a Blackberry.

FWIW, that phone you linked to appears to be what would be considered a "feature phone".

#3 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

I can only really help with #3.

There are actually three types of phones (at least that I am aware of): basic phones, feature phones, and smartphones.

Basic phones are pretty easy to distinguish from the others. Generally, they will only make calls and send texts. They will typically have a very basic address book, which is mainly for storing phone numbers and either nothing or not much else. They generally will not have any data connection/function at all, but might be capable of very, very basic data connections. And they will generally have just a numeric dial pad...i.e. no "full" keyboard. Basic phones are becoming much more rare, at least with the major carriers in the US.

The line between feature phones and smartphones has really blurred.

It used to be that big difference was the ability to run third party applications that do all kinds of things. While this is still a rather significant difference, even this has started to blur.

These days the easiest way to tell them apart is price. Generally, smartphones will be $500 or more (in US dollars) if you by one at retail price (i.e. non-subsidized phone cost), while feature phones will generally be about half that cost at retail cost.

Generally speaking, smartphones will either be running Android OS (something that will be listed in the specs), some model of an iPhone, running one of the Windows mobile OS versions (again something that will be listed in the specs), or a Blackberry.

FWIW, that phone you linked to appears to be what would be considered a "feature phone".

Thanks for your explanation!

#4 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

First of all, let me state that I know close to nothing about cell phones.

I might be interested in purchasing a quad-band (GSM), dual-SIM card cell phone. The idea is that if I have to travel to a European country I could purchase a second SIM card there and install it in the cell phone.

Questions:
1) What are the caveats about purchasing such a phone? For instance: Will the cell phone monitor incoming calls to either SIM card phone number? What about using SIM cards from two different providers?
2) Where would I find an online site that has tested and recommends particular brands/models? Paramount for me, besides cost, is voice quality, ease of setup and use. (I only need a phone that handles voice and text, so I am looking for a basic phone.)

4) Can you recommend a basic cell phone with the characteristics that I mentioned?

I have a follow-up question:

The plan that I currently have is a prepaid one (T-Mobile calls it "Pay As you Go") and includes voice + text messages.  But no data!

If I purchase this phone:  http://www.cells4u.com/Samsung-E2222-Unlocked-Phone-p/sgh-e2222-grey.htm, which I believe also supports data, what is going to happen when I insert my T-Mobile SIM card --- or any other SIM card whose plan includes voice and text messages only?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

"what is going to happen when I insert my T-Mobile SIM card --- or any other SIM card whose plan includes voice and text messages only?"

You will have what services are included in the TOS agreement represented in the SIM. If you don't have data included in your prepaid plan you won't have access to data. The SIM card identifies your account and services authorized.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

"what is going to happen when I insert my T-Mobile SIM card --- or any other SIM card whose plan includes voice and text messages only?"

You will have what services are included in the TOS agreement represented in the SIM. If you don't have data included in your prepaid plan you won't have access to data. The SIM card identifies your account and services authorized.

Great, thanks for the information.

I presume that if Wi-Fi is available then I should be able to surf the Internet that way even if my SIM card does not have a data plan, right?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Correct, if you have access to Wi-Fi and an Wi-Fi enabled phone without a data plan you can use it that way. However when you are not in range and you lose Wi-Fi signal you will lose your ability to keep browsing or whatever you were doing as you don't have carrier data plan back up.

And you're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users