Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dial up and virtual private network settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

I was looking over the internet options settings on a laptop running IE10 with windows 7.

I noticed under the connections tab there were two entries for Dial up and virtual private network settings.

3G connection

CDMA

When looking at settings for both of these all that is there is a hidden password on both.

I have never seen anything in these fields before for the run of the mill household.

Any input as to why someone would have these listed under connections? Mobile phone? Scanning connection to a printer?

I am assuming someone would have had to enter them.

Also under LAN settings "automatically detect settings" is checked....I have always been under the impression that this should not be checked.

Always a learning moment with these things it seems..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

I wonder if there using a wireless hotspot from a service provider?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I know he hooked his phone to it for whatever reason once and he set up his printer to scan to computer. Other tban that they are set up with a wireless router just like me......

Just wasn't sure if that was an indication of something foul going on. I personally never have seen anything in that location unless that was the case but I thought I would ask in case I am just behind the times.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Normally nothing requires any input to be entered in the dialup connections section except maybe some rare dsl providers. He probably was trying to hook his phone to his computer, and he thought that method would work.

Personally I've never used the dial up connections for anything. I have a router and anything that needs to be done can be done by Wi-Fi. Even if he setup his printer to scan to his computer that would be using Samba and not dial up connections.

Edited by chrisd87, 24 September 2013 - 03:49 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users