Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary profile on Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 96Andy7

96Andy7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue with my laptop where I am logged on to a temporary profile.  What I did was I installed plugins for virtualdub.  The next day, my screen began to rapidly change from negative to normal.  I immediately shut my computer off.  When I started it back up, some of my profile settings were changed, such as color settings and desktop background, while some were the same, such as profile picture, password, and lock screen picture.  

When I logged in, I got a message that says, "You've been signed in with a temporary profile.  You can't access your files and files created in this profile will be deleted when you sign out.  To fix this, sign out and try signing in later.  Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator."  

All files on my desktop except for shortcuts have been erased (or at least are not showing) and all my applications are gone from my start menu.  

Can anyone help me with this?

Edited by 96Andy7, 24 September 2013 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

The first thing I would try is a System Restore to a previous point in time (before the issue) if you have that option available.

My uneducated guess is that you may have downloaded more than just the virtualdub plug-ins; however, I could be wrong. Anyway, you might want to head over to the Security section of this forum and ask for some assistance to that end but be prepared to spend much time resolving your issue this way because there are many steps involved. 

Also, you can take a peek at this MS thread to see if it provides any insight as well:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/windows-8-keeps-loading-with-temporary-profile/583abee6-645d-42a1-88da-063547c6eea0

And finally, the cure-all might be an in place reinstall. If interested, Google this phrase (without quotes) and it will lead you to the procedure:

"How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 8 without Losing Anything."

Good luck.

#3 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Start regedit..

go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

you will see a bunch of random userID's for Windows. Here is an example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-3428560386-3965264430-4175690007-1006

I've been seeing this problem with people currently using AVG antivirus.

Your account will have a .bak file at the end of the long ID. Like this: S-1-5-21-3428560386-3965264430-4175690007-1006.bak

You will also see one that has a temporary user profile path. That is the one you will want to delete, and also remove the .bak from your original one. 

Make sure you export all registry keys before doing the following by right clicking profile list and clicking export.

I suggest doing this with the administrator account.

To unlock the Admin account.. just open an elevated command prompt and type net user Administrator /active:yes.. and restart the computer.

Once finished all the steps, restart your PC and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you need any extra help. :)

#4 peekaboo

peekaboo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks so much retnut your solution worked for me, such a relief I recovered all my information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users