Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion a6110n issue(s).

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hey,

I recently aquired an HP Pavilion a6110n from a fellow coworker. The PC was working fine when I switched it on. I first formatted and added a new copy of Win7 Ultimate 64bit and did all the necessary updates and anti-spyware/virus protections, etc. I've added an aditional 2GB of RAM (not no big name brand being that its for my 11y/o step-daughter) and a NETGEAR dualband N600 USB wireless adaptor. So, the issue is, this past weekend my step-daughter was using the machine on Rosetta Stone and when she went to turn off the PC she must of rebooted it, and then a beeping sound began. It was a short tone then a long tone... These two tones would continue repeatedly not even showing the HP logo boot. As soon as the machine goes on it happens. So, I looked up and it seems to be a memory issue. So, I want ahead and disconnected all of the RAM, and inserted the factory RAM but to my surprise no beeping sound but no display either... I hope the cheap-o RAM didn't fry something if its even remotely possible.

PC factory specs are below, like I said all that was added was 2GB of SuperTalent RAM and a NETGEAR adaptor.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01048277&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3436818

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Its possible. From what you have said, I would try putting the factory RAM in different ports to see if it does the same thing.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

...btw, even with the good or bad sticks installed the pc doesn't seem to POST. I'm going to try that once I get home

#4 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

RAM can be very wierd to troubleshoot. Ive had RAM work in certain slots but not in others for whatever reason that caused the computer to not boot. But then another RAM stick would work in the other slot that wasnt working. Its crazy but I almost never leave RAM out the equation.

Sincerely, Blake.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

I would also try replacing the CMOS battery. A 2 pack (CR2032) will run you about $3-6 at Walmart.

#6 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I would also try replacing the CMOS battery. A 2 pack (CR2032) will run you about $3-6 at Walmart.

What? Why?

Sincerely, Blake.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

System debuted 6 years ago.

If original CMOS battery is still in there...there's not necessarily a high probability that that its still fully functional.

IME, weakening/dying CMOS batteries can result in hardware configuration errors such as those thus far described.  For an item that so cheap...I would replace it whether needed or not.

System specs

Louis

#8 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Good news, after testing each module the PC is fully functional with one gig less. Just so happens that one of the factory sticks decided it was a good time to die. Thanks all, I will be considering swapping the CMOS battery. I think I have some spares laying around from the time I bought a pack for my car's keyless entry.

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Good news, after testing each module the PC is fully functional with one gig less. Just so happens that one of the factory sticks decided it was a good time to die. Thanks all, I will be considering swapping the CMOS battery. I think I have some spares laying around from the time I bought a pack for my car's keyless entry.

Glad to have helped!

@hamluis I know it doesnt hurt to change the cmos battery, and you are right that a bad battery very well could cause problems sometimes depending on the hardware configuration, but based on the situation he had explained I really didnt think the cmos battery had anything to do with the original issue in the scenario. Especially if he doesnt have any special setups like RAID or SLI. 

Sincerely, Blake.

#10 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Nah, this PC isn't anything special. As I said, this machine was given to me for my step-daughter and I just did basic work to make it run smooth. My gamig rig is something else though, might bot be the top of the line anymore but it still hauls ass :)

Yet, I'll probably swap the CMOS battery if I have a spare laying around but it's not an urgent thing as of right now. Would like to max out the final bank so the machine runs at full 4GB again.

#11 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Nah, this PC isn't anything special. As I said, this machine was given to me for my step-daughter and I just did basic work to make it run smooth. My gamig rig is something else though, might bot be the top of the line anymore but it still hauls ass :)

Yet, I'll probably swap the CMOS battery if I have a spare laying around but it's not an urgent thing as of right now. Would like to max out the final bank so the machine runs at full 4GB again.

I mean there is nothing wrong with putting a new battery in, its just based on what you explained I didnt think the cmos would make a difference at all. Considering how old the computer is I would say go ahead and change it anyway.

Sincerely, Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users