Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG antivirus free edition 2014

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 doodoog

doodoog

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Operating system is Windows xp service pack 3. Installed avg free edition 2014. Completed all updates, ran full scan, restarted my computer several times, but the windows security alerts icon shows next to the clock, bottom right corner. I ran a test to check my antivirus to see if it detects any viruses, and it works fine. The program operates fine. However when I click on the windows security alerts icon, it tells me antivirus protection not found. I anyone can anyone help me resolve this issue it would be great. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Windows Action Center (Windows Security Center) checks for many common anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall programs, but it's possible that you might be using a program that Windows cannot detect or is having issues with. Windows Security Center will try to tell you about anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall programs installed on your computer but it does not detect all software brands. If a manufacturer decides not to participate, the Security Center will not be able to detect the manufacturer's programs. It is the responsibility of the anti-virus, anti-mallware or firewall vendor to design their software so that it will be recognized by the Windows Security Center. The vendor also must submit the information to Microsoft so the Windows operating system catalog can be updated with the software signature addition.

Below is a note Microsoft included under the section Malicious software protection which can be found in their "Using Windows Security Center" support article.

Windows does not detect all antivirus and antispyware software. If you are sure that you have anti-malware software installed, it is turned on, and it is up to date, you can click I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself or I have an antisypware program that I'll monitor myself to stop receiving notifications from Security Center about your anti-malware software. If you do this, Windows will not monitor your anti-malware software status or alert you if it is off.

Using Windows Security Center

Further, if there was a previous anti-virus installed, you need to ensure it has been completely removed. If not, there may be conflicts when attempting to install a new anti-virus to include it not being recognized by the Security Center. In many cases vendors offer clean-up utilities to remove remnants left behind after unintalling.If you did not have a previous anti-virus or the above does not resolve the issue then refer to:-- Note: Some types of malware will disable or corrupt the Windows Security Center. The above suggestions are only for this issue if you're sure there is no infection on your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mvcdustin

mvcdustin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I believe you can click on the Action Center icon on your taskbar and tell the Action Center that you are using a Anti-Virus that it doesn't recognize, that way it stops bugging you.

Hope I helped.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Instructions on how to do that are in the last link I provided in my previous reply...you would choose the option: "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself".

#5 mvcdustin

mvcdustin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Instructions on how to do that are in the last link I provided in my previous reply...you would choose the option: "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself".

Whoops. Wasn't trying to steal your thunder, quietman7. Sorry for being redundant. Didn't notice you posted that link.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

No problem...if you missed, others may do the same so I was just pointing it out.

#7 janfox1933

janfox1933

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Please use this if the windows security center does not detect the AVG.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

janfox1933. I removed your link as I do not know who you are and cannot find any official information from AVG in regards to AVG_Delrep_en.exe.

#9 janfox1933

janfox1933

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

I work for AVG and I am giving the exact resolution for this. Please check the website of AVG for this tool at www.avg.com/tools.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Then we need to get you registered as an Authorized Rep. I will forward you information on how to do that.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

I am reposting the link since I confirmed it is listed on an official AVG site.

AVG Tools and Diagnostic Utilities 2013/2014 <- DelRep (AVG_Delrep_en.exe)

Too bad it did not point to that site when I did a Google search of the file name.

I noted some other handy tools listed as well.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users