Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to get folder options to apply to sub folders

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Is there a way I can take a folder of docs or pictures etc and change for instance, the sort method, or icon size etc and have it apply to it and it's sub folders only without applying it to all the folders on my computer?
I can't seem to find a way to do it in Win 7, but perhaps someone might know of another 3rd party utility that would do it.  

Any ideas?  I would really appreciate it.

I run Win 7 professional.

Floyd

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2013 - 11:16 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Floyd,

in the folder in question, right click, and select properties. Go to security, and then click advanced. you would then click change permissions, and apply whatever permissions you would like to propagate, and then make sure to click the replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object. this will only effect the child folders under the folder you apply this on, so make sure not to do this on the root of the drive.

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the reply jkostar, but I just realized I no longer have the "security tab" when i click on properties.  I have no idea when that went away. 

Any idea on how to get it back? 

That is one of the reasons I bought Win 7 pro and i use to use that perodically but now I no longer have that option.

Floyd

#4 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Floyd,

if you hit the windows key and the R key at the same time, this will bring up a run box. in the run box, please type gpedit.msc. in the local group policy editor, under user configuration, click on windows components, and then windows explorer. from there, find the "remove security tab" and right click on that and select edit. Change this to not configured, and close out of the editor. this should restore your security tab.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

You posted in the XP forum. If indeed you're talking about W7 look here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/81727-security-tab-add-remove-properties.html

Edited by Allan, 24 September 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#6 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

Floyd, any luck with this?

#7 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Allan, Thanks for your interest, but I don't seem to be having a lot of luck yet.  I have been pretty busy and apologizse for not getting back to you sooner. 

I ran the utility to get the security tab back, but settings still don't seem to apply to the sub folders yet.  I have full permissions it seems on all of my folders. 

To reiterate, I want to be able to sort or view items in a certain order of a main folder and have it apply to the sub folders of that main folder.  Mainly I am working with My Pictures folder as I am digitizing about 5000 + phtos fhotos from our family albubms going back several generations for our children and grand children.  If that is possible it sure would save me a lot of grief and work. 

Thanks again.

Floyd

#8 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

floyd,

now that you have the security tab back, can you go through and click security\advanced\change permissions. replace all child permissions with inheritable permissions from this folder, and as long as the folder has you with full access, this should propagate the permissions to the child objects. Let me know if this works, and if not, please let me know what error you receive.

#9 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well, I followed your instructions to the letter, which sounded very reasonable, but when I click on the advanced button,
than select change permissions,include inheritable permissions is already selected and
I also click on replace all child objects etc click apply I get a popup saying this will replace all defined permissions etc I click OK and the box i just checked becomes unchecked and the folders stay the same.
I also tried unchecking the 1st box and just check the replace box and get an error message and I click Ok but nothing either way seems to change in my folder tree.
I would send you some screen shots of the process but it doesnt appear to be possible on this forum.
Once again thanks for your patience.
Just to clarify what I'm doing, I took a folder of My pictures with several subloders, copied it to my desktop so as to maintain my originals unchanged for experimenting purposes. What I am trying to achieve is that if I change the sort order or view order in the parent folder I would like all the sub folders change to that sort method also.
I hope I am explainging it well enough.
Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users