Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Do i need a new computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sidhardtha

sidhardtha

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

my computers usually quit working at 4 years of age. my present computer is 4 years and 2 months

old. should i get a new 1 before this 1 breaks and i can't retrieve my files. i don't have any problems

yet. i leave my computer on for long periods. every thing i have is on my computer, like lists, recipes,

coupons and tv schedules. i have an external drive but it is over 4 years old. my sister sometimes

uses my computer for AOL mail and cat video's. i presently have a 2.53 ghz i3 processer. it may be a

bit weak. should i get windows 8? i don't want a touch screen. how much memory will i need? 4 GB

seems like enough on windows 7. i would be buying a computer that's already built. 

i don't have a budget for this new computer.

my primary uses with this computer are firefox, downloading music from

amazon, light graphics editing, word pad, playing music video's from youtube, i write an

occasional DVD. i never play any games. i sometimes have 2 programs running at the same

time.

i store a lot of documents, music and music video's on my computer.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by sidhardtha, 24 September 2013 - 09:40 AM.

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

I would not suggest upgrading to Windows 8, firstly.

Your computer sounds like it should be fine, and with the external backup drive even if it crashes for good you have all the data there.

What I would suggest is looking into some maintenance, nothing that you need to buy really, just some software to clean everything out and keep everything running in tip top shape.

Things like CCleaner, Malwarebytes, other things like that. (Im sure someone here can come up with a nice list of software you can use to clear everything out)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

I myself tend to have spare parts and multiple computers (3)...and I backup routinely...so I have no fear of system failure.

Not sure about your "4-year rule" but backing up routinely is dieigned to take away the inconvenience of system failure...and is a lot cheaper than buying a new system when things go awry :).

Systems continually get better components and cheaper as time goes by...so I would not try to anticipate system failure and the need to replace the system...until it happens.

If you just WANT a new system...just get it...and keep the current system as an emergency/alternate.

If the system runs well...there's no need to anticipate it not running well until such occurs.  Backing up routinely alleviates that pain potential.

My answer to your topic title is...no...but if you want a new system, just get it (you will be happier with yourself) :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi, As an addition to the above advice. Keep two sets of backups on External drives minimum.

My preference is to not power on the externals until needed to prevent excessive wear.

My other preference is to either shutdown the computer when not in use and remove the power from it to protect against surges.

The other option is to Hibernate it. I often find myself hibernating this computer if I have several things going.

Windows 8, I did not like it due to no start button and the extra work to get to the desktop, However that is what is on this Lenovo All-In-One that I use as my main computer now.

What made the difference so that I have no problems with Windows 8 nor recommending it was the installation of "Classic Shell"

That makes it work like a improved Windows 7. Not enough improved that I'll upgrade the other computers but improved it is.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Classic Shell is a popular Start Menu alternative that allows you to change the Windows Start Menu to appear as different Windows Start Menu styles or a new one created by the developers of Classic Shell. A really nice feature is that for those who do not wish to use the Windows 8 Start Screen, Classic Shell is configured by default to bypass it and boot directly to the desktop.

Note: I am not recommending a All-InOne computer for others. It fit my needs for this location of small footprint, 23" display, Low power usage (120watts max). Used with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and Wireless internet it only has two wires running to it, 1 for power and one to the printer.

Drawbacks that I'm willing to live with since I can do hardware repairs if they ever need to be done is that any hardware problem kills everything until it is repaired.

I agree with Louis, Use Your current computer until it dies, then decide to repair or replace.

Keep up to date backups. And like Louis I always have a spare(s) computers.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 October 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

thank you all for replying :)

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users