Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 745 won't start

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gorilakhan

gorilakhan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hi, can anyone help me please on this. I have a dell optiplex 745. one day when i start my pc. the orange light on in power button but computer wont start. i google this situation and found a solution on this site http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Dell-OLOD-Orange-Light-Of-Death/. i done that step by step wizard. these steps are

Step By Step:
(Disconnect all cables, Inc the power)
1. Open the case of your Dell Pc
2. On the power supply box (top right) find the GREEN wire
(The green wire will almost always be the power switch on all Pc's)
3. Cut it at around the middle
4. Strip Both Ends
5.Find a long enough piece of wire that will reach to the front of the pc
6. Solder the GREEN wires back together but putting your seperate peice of wire inbetween them
7. Tidy them up with zip ties and shrink tubing (Electrical Tape if not)
8. Plug the power cable into the pc
9. Hold the wire onto the chassis of the pc
10. If the fans start at full speed, press the power button and let the wire off
11. your pc should be running as normal.

i done all this but now there is no orange or any other light on power button, when i plug the power supply cable  just a orange light on motherboard is on and nothing happen. can anyone please help me...

:smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I wouldnt have cut any wires or soldered anything. Its possible your power switch could be bad. You can try this http://www.ehow.com/how_7226194_make-computer-turn-motherboard.html

I will say use extreme caution and do this at your own risk. Not that it is dangerous, but there is always a possibility of shorting something out.

The reason why I say to do this, if you can turn the computer on manually like this, then I would say you have a bad power switch. If it doesnt, you may have a bad board.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 gorilakhan

gorilakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

Thanks bory504. i will do that. ok. finger corss. see what happend...

#4 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hi gorilakhan,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  4. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if the system switches ON.

Dell Optiplex 745 comes with diagnostic indicators. If the computer is not starting up you can refer to the diagnostic indicators.

First I’d like to know The Optiplex 745 power button light (bicolor LED) located on the front of the computer illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different color state. As you have stated that the system starts with amber light. If it’s a solid amber light then ‘The power supply is working, but the system is not processing data. If it’s blinking amber light then ‘The power supply is receiving power from the source but is unable to properly distribute it to the components’.

Second I’d like to know the Optiplex 745 diagnostic LEDs are located on the front of the chassis between or below the headphone and USB connectors, depending on the chassis.These diagnostic indicators are only active and visible during the POST process. Once the operating system starts to load, they turn off and are no longer visible.

Third I’d like to know if you are getting any beep codes. The Optiplex 745 system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems. Please let me know how many beeps you get.

Please reply so that we could assist you further.

#5 gorilakhan

gorilakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Dear Ravi,

Thank you so much for give me soloution, at last computer is start when I done these 4 steps. but... unfortunatly after doing these steps computer start in normal state and load win7 while loding windows computer restart itself, and now when i pulg the power cable its start and restart in just every 1 second. on power button the orange light is on and off again and again. there no beep codes nor diagnostic lights. can you please tell me what to do now....

#6 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hi gorilakhan,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMBIyeelQA0

Please let me know the findings.

#7 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Dear Ravi,

Thank you so much for give me soloution, at last computer is start when I done these 4 steps. but... unfortunatly after doing these steps computer start in normal state and load win7 while loding windows computer restart itself, and now when i pulg the power cable its start and restart in just every 1 second. on power button the orange light is on and off again and again. there no beep codes nor diagnostic lights. can you please tell me what to do now....

From the new issues listed, Id say reseat the RAM and see what happens.

Sincerely, Blake.

#8 gorilakhan

gorilakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hi Bory,

as you say, i change the slot for RAM, and start the computer, it is not restart now, just a orange light stable on power button and fan is running in normal speed, but system cannot start, i remove the power cable and wait for 20 sceonds and plug in to again, without pressing the power button, computer start itself with orange light on power button, fan is running, on motherboard another orange light is lit. 

I think maybe there is some thing wrong with motherboard. may i correct?

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Its very possible.. I don't have many other options for you that I can think of. All I can say is just double check everything and perform the steps we told you about again and just keep asking around. Its one of those weird problems...

Sincerely, Blake.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Why not do as the Dell Rep suggests and run the diagnostics.

Starting the Dell Diagnostics From Your Hard Drive
Turn on (or restart) your computer. 
When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately. 

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

When the boot device list appears, highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press <Enter>. 

When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select the test you want to run (see Dell Diagnostics Main Menu). 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: If you see a message stating that no diagnostics utility partition has been found, 
run the Dell Diagnostics from your optional Drivers and Utilities CD. 
Starting the Dell Diagnostics From the Drivers and Utilities CD (Optional)
Insert the Drivers and Utilities CD (optional). 
Shut down and restart the computer. 
When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.
If you wait too long and the Windows logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop.
Then shut down your computer and try again.
------------------------------------------------

If for some reason there is no utility partition,  or you do not have any disks, you can download the diagnostics program from the Dell site.

Edited by petewills , 03 October 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#11 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Why not do as the Dell Rep suggests and run the diagnostics.

Starting the Dell Diagnostics From Your Hard Drive
Turn on (or restart) your computer. 
When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately. 

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

When the boot device list appears, highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press <Enter>. 

When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select the test you want to run (see Dell Diagnostics Main Menu). 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: If you see a message stating that no diagnostics utility partition has been found, 
run the Dell Diagnostics from your optional Drivers and Utilities CD. 
Starting the Dell Diagnostics From the Drivers and Utilities CD (Optional)
Insert the Drivers and Utilities CD (optional). 
Shut down and restart the computer. 
When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.
If you wait too long and the Windows logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop.
Then shut down your computer and try again.
------------------------------------------------

If for some reason there is no utility partition,  or you do not have any disks, you can download the diagnostics program from the Dell site.

I want to say that the way he explained it is when he turns it on it shows nothing on the screen although the fans are running and what not. Otherwise then Id agree and say run the Dell Diags.

Sincerely, Blake.

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yes, but if he can't get F2, F12 or F8, on startup, he can burn the downloaded diagnostics program to a CD instead.

#13 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

What would burning the diag program on a CD do if the computer doesn't post? To my knowledge most store bought computers do not have the ODD set as the 1st boot device so I am kind of confused now as to what your are getting to.

Sincerely, Blake.

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

OK.  I have a Dell Desktop computer.  I dumped my utility partition long ago.
I have the Dell diagnostics on a CD which I burned, after downloading the diags from Dell.
I insert my CD in the drive.  I restart or shut down and cold boot.
If the drive doesn't open, there's always the paperclip method.
The diagnostics load from the CD outside Windows, the programs are loaded to Ramdisk
and up comes a graphical interface, from which you can select what you want to do.

Furthermore, testing my Dell earlier, I found that by tapping the F12 key, (where you might usually tap F8),
before any screens/logos, appeared, the F12 Boot Menu was displayed. May just have been lucky there.

If the Bios does not have the CD Drive as first to boot, I'm not sure what I would do; have to think about that.

However, I can't see anywhere, where the OP has attempted to use the F2 to get in, nor any other F key.

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

How about this, courtesy of Google.

'Restart the system. As soon as the screen goes blank. 
Hold down several keys at once. The intent is to cause a keyboard error to force access to the BIOS. 
Sometimes this method works.'

I would not be too happy to force errors, but I might do it as a last resort on my computer, if I was totally stuck.

I am not suggesting that the OP tries this, it just offers a suggestion re your comment on the Boot order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users