Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have vision problems and need a special monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

I have vision problems and I am in need of special displays for my computers.  Most of todays brand new thin panel, wide-screen type displays seem awfully bright to my tired, weary eyes. Especially if I am trying to stare into a bright white background with black text for long periods of time. Which is very hard to do on the modern display types out there The problem is I can halfway tolerate photographs, videos and graphics on dim and even moderately dim displays but it starts to become a problem when they are too bright and from a back-lit display. The problem with text is even more severe, harsh and sensitive to me. The old monitors from the early 1980's with green or amber characters set against a deep, pitch black display is the easiest on my eyes yet they are not compatible with today's computers.

Thus, I am trying to review all the different types of monitor types and computer display technologies in general over the years from the earliest Cathode Ray Tube type technologies (CRT) right up to todays thin panel, wide-screen monitors. To be honest I am a little confused over the various different types that have appeared, come and gone and what kind are on the store shelves today. I have even considered trying out projector type technologies intended for home video use or office multi media but I'm not sure if they can be hooked up to a computer and if so just exactly how well these would work for a computer monitor display.

Also, I am at a loss when it comes to comparing modern thin panel, wide-screen Televisions to current thin-panel wide-screen computer monitors. They both look and seem the same to me overall and in general. Are there any differences and if so, what are they?

Any help anyone could provide in helping me sort out all the various different types of computer display technologies both vintage and modern and even projector and television technologies both vintage and modern would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

You can set up any windows Computer into what is called "High Contrast" mode which has options for black backgrounds with yellow, green, or white text, along with other options.

Pictures and videos you may still have issues with but turning down the brightness on newer montiors should help with that.

I would suggest getting an LCD monitor, it will offer you clarity, with a fairly large range of backlight/brightness dimming, but still giving you high contrast and solid pictures (LED's have a tendency to flicker, especially at lower brightnessess).

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

hi, For what it is worth I use a 32" HDTV for my Big desktop Display. The One I have lets you set each input separately. Thus The Computer input can be set bright or dim, colors adjusted, etc.

Combine a nice large screen size with GreenGiants suggestions and You should be able to set it to what You want. Windows has many options for helping in the Control Panel under Ease of Access.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Punchy71

Punchy71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I would suggest getting an LCD monitor, it will offer you clarity, with a fairly large range of backlight/brightness dimming, but still giving you high contrast and solid pictures (LED's have a tendency to flicker, especially at lower brightnessess).

How can I tell if I have an LCD or an LED monitor before me?

#5 Punchy71

Punchy71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

hi, For what it is worth I use a 32" HDTV for my Big desktop Display. The One I have lets you set each input separately. Thus The Computer input can be set bright or dim, colors adjusted, etc.

What is the make and model of your HDTV then?

I'm afraid that would not be of help to you as it was new 5 years ago and I am sure you can not get one of them. Nor would I suggest getting a 5 year old model.

You would just need to check any model You are looking at for features such as what i described if they meet Your needs. A Cheaper model would most likely have one set of settings that is applied to all inputs. I have a cheap generic HDTV also that is not nearly as flexible.

As a point of interest technically LEDs are also LCDs. LCD is Liquid Crystal Display. LED refers to the type of Back-light. Older LCDs used a Type of fluorescent bulb for the back-light. There is another Type of display used in TV sets called Plasma, A different type of display.

They all have Pluses and Minuses. LEDs generally use the least energy and run cooler. Plasma is generally the most Power hungry and throw more heat. Quite often Plasma displays have a wider viewing angle. LCDs as the term is used meaning the ones with Fluorescent bulbs are in between.

LEDs are the newest type and are very popular because they use less electricity.

I hope this information helps.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 September 2013 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users