Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating A Website-beginner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rebeccawakes

rebeccawakes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

I going to make a cellphone website with my own cellphone reviews and have a forum,photos and so on. How much traffic will my website need? My host is.....

www.hostmywebsitenow.com

Once there, 'build a website', 'website tonight',with the online web builder.The premier plan says comes with 200GB bandwidth. That shud be ok for a personal site?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

That will probably be more than you need at first, so yeah, that should be plenty of bandwidth since your traffic won't be that great at first.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hello,

It is a common mistake for first time web site authors to add several functions controlled by external JavaScript files. It is pretty neat when you start implementing automatic email scripts, custom searches, preload and so on, but the downside of this extra functionallity is that each time a certain page is called on, it also has to load any external file that is linked to it.

The same goes for CSS files. I have seen many sites that have 5 or 6 external style sheets linked to their pages, all controlling a certain aspect of the structure or content of their site. I try to keep one global CSS external file to control as much as possible, and just add individual styles to the actual page, which if you have your global CSS file impemented right, the individual styles are very few, and non conflicting.

Photos will eat some bandwidth as well, and if you plan on having pages that display several models of phones, or something to that affect, then you may want to just display thumbnails on your pages, that when clicked can be shown at full size, rather than adding all the full size pictures to your pages that will all load when that particular page is called upon.

These are just some considerations to think about when you start implementing features to your site, and just remember that people will visit your site for the content, not for fancy graphics, animations, and the rest of the junk that makes web pages load slow.

Hope this helps,

p.s.
give me a link to your site so I can check out your content, and I will consider adding it to the related catagory that I have on my web sites, if you are interested of course.

nos :thumbsup:

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users