Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about CPU and GPU before putting fan and heat sink back in laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Angela_33

Angela_33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hello. After taking apart my old laptop, I have two questions regarding what to do with the GPU and CPU before putting the fan/heat sink back in.

First, the CPU contact point on the heat sink had a square foil that peeled up and has a tear in it. I am not sure if I should try to remove the foil square and goop underneath and apply thermal paste directly to the copper, or whether there is another way to fix it. (Attached picture #1) 

Second, the GPU had a blue soft square between it and the contact point under the fan. This also ripped apart as I thought it was supposed to be replaced with the thermal paste. (Attached picture #2). I am not sure if it is okay to simply use thermal paste now, or if I need to use what the blue square was made of. 

I appreciate any ideas or help with this. I was attempting to save money by simply bringing in the motherboard to be soldered, however I may have underestimated the reassembly process. It is a very old laptop, and it will be some time before I can replace it. Thank you for taking a look!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Was that blue padding stuff on the place to the left of the fan?

For the CPU you can simply add some thermal paste like arctic silver 5 to it, and that will suffice.

#3 Angela_33

Angela_33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Yes, and the square covers the GPU.

Thank you!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

You can simply apply the same thermal paste to the GPU as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users