Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Url Keeps Resetting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xtdg134

xtdg134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

I logged on to my computer a while ago and on the desktop were a couple of "computer security" programs. I got rid of them because they seemed a little shady, constantly asking you if you wanted to download theyre programs. When I opened IE, my URL was changed. I changed it back to Yahoo, but everytime I click home it takes me right back to the one I was trying to get rid of. I'm pretty sure its not a problem associated with IE directly, but any1 know how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bscr

bscr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like you have a case of spyware. You could try it with Spybot search-and-destroy.
After running it, it will likely direct you to reboot your system, because it can't clean all of the files.
Just reboot and let Spybot do it's thing.

Here's the link to it:

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...tml?tag=lst-0-1

Good luck!

bscr

#3 xtdg134

xtdg134
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

Tryed that one already. It got rid of everything it came across with no problem. If it helps you help me at all, when I go to change my URL in Internet Options, it says "about:blank", but it always takes me to the same site.

Edited by xtdg134, 26 April 2006 - 07:08 PM.

#4 bscr

bscr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

You could also try 'Hijackthis'. This is a browser hijack tool for the more serious cases.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Likely that there is some stuff left in the registry that keeps resetting the URL.

You can also download Windows defender, which has a 'homepage protector' feature. Can't hurt to run that one also.

bscr

Edited by bscr, 26 April 2006 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users