Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help choosing a laptop!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 achelgeson

achelgeson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hey guys,

I just joined this site so I can ask your advice on choosing a laptop to buy. I am replacing a Samsung that had a hard drive crash and so far, I have 2 laptops I'm considering after doing research: the Asus K55A-DH71 and the Toshiba Satellite S55-A5257. Both are within my budget, and they have the specs I like. 15.6 inch screen and Intel Core i7 processor. However, the Toshiba has a newer Intel processor (4700qm) than the Asus (3630qm), so I'm assuming it is faster/better. But the big question is, does Asus have a higher quality build and overall reliability than Toshiba? The last thing I want is to get a laptop with an unreliable or low quality build, or might have short lived hard drive. So, what do you guys suggest? Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hi, both Toshiba and Asus are fantastic brands in terms of reliability and quality build. I believe its best to get the Toshiba because it has a newer processor and really for future proofing. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Like killerx525 said and I agree with him, they are both good brands, and the Toshiba has a better processor so it would be a btter buy. As far as "reliability" and "short life hard drives", every manufacture has their defective products. I work retail, and I have seen at least one of every manufacture laptop have a defective one out the box. Its really personal preference as far as what brands are good. I love Asus, and I know people that hate it. I hate Dell, I know people that love it. There is no way to tell how long any parts will last on any new computer, its exactly the same scenario with most cars.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I agree with Killer, Go for the Toshiba. They have good Quality.

Brands I have or have had, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, and the Lenovo Thinkpad which is a business model.

As Bory504 says any brand can have problems given that they get shipped and not hand carried from the factory.

If you take a run of 1,000 hard drives and put them into laptops some will last better than others.

Environmental factors come into play. Temperatures for example can affect life. Impacts will affect life. Are you the type that finds themselves siting there drumming your fingers on the laptop next to the touchpad for example. That can affect the drive life. I am that type, so I switched mine to using SSD drives. They are pretty much immune to impact. No moving parts in a SSD, No heads to crash.

A laptop is a delicate item. They should always be picked up by both sides, for example, They should never be tossed around even when off and in or out of a good Laptop case.

I have a padded Metal case for one of my laptops. Everything fits snug. No room for anything to slide around in transit, Perfect.

Even so I handle with care. Laptops are not durable like many appliances. The screens are easy to crack.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

I agree with Killer, Go for the Toshiba. They have good Quality.

Brands I have or have had, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, and the Lenovo Thinkpad which is a business model.

As Bory504 says any brand can have problems given that they get shipped and not hand carried from the factory.

If you take a run of 1,000 hard drives and put them into laptops some will last better than others.

Environmental factors come into play. Temperatures for example can affect life. Impacts will affect life. Are you the type that finds themselves siting there drumming your fingers on the laptop next to the touchpad for example. That can affect the drive life. I am that type, so I switched mine to using SSD drives. They are pretty much immune to impact. No moving parts in a SSD, No heads to crash.

A laptop is a delicate item. They should always be picked up by both sides, for example, They should never be tossed around even when off and in or out of a good Laptop case.

I have a padded Metal case for one of my laptops. Everything fits snug. No room for anything to slide around in transit, Perfect.

Even so I handle with care. Laptops are not durable like many appliances. The screens are easy to crack.

Good Luck

Roger

You dont know how many people bring their laptop to my work and drop it on the counter from 6 inches in the air and say "My laptop doesnt work". Then i think to myself, YOU WONDER WHY IT DOESNT WORK!?? Assuming achelgeson wont be handling it roughly, any brand could last a very long time.

Sincerely, Blake.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Trust me, I do know. I worked where that happened regularly.

I was a Lenovo and Toshiba ASP authorized repair technician. As well as A+ and several Printer brands such as Okidata.

That is why I said to lift laptops from both sides. Lifting by one side was a common cause of the ATI Video in T42 Thinkpads developing bad connections. Eventually the flexing broke the solder joints on the Video Chip.

As I said I switched to SSDs due to my habit of drumming my fingers on the laptop. Other people may just have a really heavy touch on the Keyboard.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 achelgeson

achelgeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Ok, thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll get the Toshiba. 

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Good Luck with the Purchase.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Trust me, I do know. I worked where that happened regularly.

I was a Lenovo and Toshiba ASP authorized repair technician. As well as A+ and several Printer brands such as Okidata.

That is why I said to lift laptops from both sides. Lifting by one side was a common cause of the ATI Video in T42 Thinkpads developing bad connections. Eventually the flexing broke the solder joints on the Video Chip.

As I said I switched to SSDs due to my habit of drumming my fingers on the laptop. Other people may just have a really heavy touch on the Keyboard.

Apologies, I didnt mean it like that, it was just a figure of speech. Im not questioning your computer knowledge at all :) but I do agree with the SSD deal, and I will possibly do the same. However, I feel SSDs are still too much right now.

Sincerely, Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users