Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup in Msconfig

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Can I uncheck NVIDIA NVRAID in the msconfig startup if I do not have a RAID configuration?  My Windows 7 takes forever to boot and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.  All other programs except AV and Logitech Gaming Framework (Logitech gaming keyboard ), and System Mechanic (don't go on with me about this one - some people I know don't like it, but this problem existed before it was ever installed so you can't blame that program.  Besides it runs on several computers in the house and doesn't affect any of them.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

This is a valid program that is required to run at startup.

This program is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work.

NVRaidService

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig only allows you to disable entries. To completely remove an entry from its' list you have to edit the registry, or use a third-party tool like Msconfig Cleanup Utility or a startup manager.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user).
A better alternative for disabling unnecessary startups is to use a free Startup Manager like one of the following:If you use CCleaner, it has a built-in Startup Manager under Tools > Startup. Revo Uninstaller Free includes a Startup Manager under Tools.

Most of these tools are stand-alone portable apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary. They will provide a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. Changing the default settings for services can be risky and might prevent key services from running correctly. Only change the status of a service if it is necessary. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

Windows 7 Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services in Windows?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

If you disable anything in msconfig, make sure its not a service. Only disable things in the "startup" section, which it seems like you did. But I dont think the Nvidia Raid is your problem for it booting slow and I dont think disabling it would affect anything. Id download + run CCleaner and defrag the system. Is this a custom built machine or store bought?

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users