Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Hardware Issues in Upgrading from XP to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eliuri

eliuri

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hello :

I'd like to upgrade from Windows XP Professional to Windows 7 in the near future. When I ran Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, I was told that my Graphics Controller:

Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV

is not compatible, and at the Intel website, it says they’re not offering newer drivers for this type of Graphics Controller. There were also issues noted with regard to the Graphics adapter and Windows Aero.

I'd like a sense of what it would take to accomplish an upgrade to Windows 7 using the old pc I now have:

1) Can I install Windows 7 on this by making some adjustments such as installing a new graphics card?

2) Would it be more cost effective  and advisable that I purchase a new pc?

But more importantly:

3) Would i need to purchase a new monitor as well as a new desktop pc, or would even an older monitor work with the newer brands of desktops?

My current monitor is: IBM T750 [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n 55-F6121, July 2002 and it shows a plug and Play in the device manager of Hardware Properties.

Windows 7 Compatibility Reporter:

"Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Intel Corporation

Not compatible

The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7."

Also, in same report:

"             

Windows Aero support

Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.

Go online to learn more about Windows Aero"

Display

Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]

IBM T750 [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n 55-F6121, July 2002)

(The resolution 800X600 is merely that low because I prefer it. i can raise it  to 1280X1024 if I should so desire)

Specs:

Name      IBM T750 on Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Current Resolution              800x600 pixels

Work Resolution  800x570 pixels

State       Enabled, Primary, Output devices support

Monitor Width     800

Monitor Height    600

Monitor BPP         32 bits per pixel

Monitor Frequency             75 Hz

Device    \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Manufacturer        Intel

Model    82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Device ID              8086-2562

Revision                2

Subvendor            Dell (1028)

Current Performance Level Level 0

Driver version       6.14.10.4342

I know very little about PC hardware, so my apologies. If you need more details about the specs on current PC, I’d be glad to post those.

Thanks  in advance:

-Eliuri

===============================

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3

Specs of current PC:

System Model:  Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX260

CPU

Intel Pentium 4

Northwood 0.13um Technology

Operating System

Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

RAM

2.00GB DDR @ 132MHz (2.5-3-3-6)

Motherboard

Dell Computer Corp.

Graphics

IBM T750 (800x600@75Hz)

Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)

Hard Drives

75GB IC35L080AVVA07-0 (ATA)     39 °C

Optical Drives

TEAC CD-224E

Audio

USB Audio Device

Processor 2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b

Board: Dell Computer Corp.
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A09 11/01/2004

Edited by eliuri, 23 September 2013 - 02:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

All you need to fix that issue is a new GPU video card, however...

With those specs, I think you'll get a much better experience with a new system. You can get a Inspiron system right now for $300 if you search out a deal in the stores.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

In theory, Windows 7 would run with that processor and that amount of RAM as long as you installed a discrete video card that will work with Windows 7.

How well it would run in another question. I have heard of people upgrading P4s and having Windows 7 run basically just as well as XP. I don't know if those where just "test to see if I can do it" type people or people who did it long term.

I would say you likely would be better off getting a new computer. As the other poster noted, you can get some fairly decent machines to not that much money.

And, yes, your existing monitor should work fine with a new computer. Since that monitor appears to only have a VGA input (i.e. is analog only), you will just want to make sure that the new computer has a VGA port or at least a DVI-A compatible (aka analog DVI) port that you could use a DVI-to-VGA adapter with.

#4 eliuri

eliuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thank you Netghost. . I assume that the GPU video card goes into the computers tower? wouldn't know how to install that video card myself

But you are right. I might as well just get a new one. Since those are not as expensive as I feared.

My main concern remains that plug and play  monitor. It's  got a fairly large screen, and it would be costly to get a new monitor as well. So I feel reassured by what smax says here...

Except that I have no idea what that technical sentence (I put it in bold) really means.

Smax:

Would you kindly break it down a bit for me into layman terms? I'm not too computer savvy.

Thanks much:

-eliuri

And, yes, your existing monitor should work fine with a new computer. Since that monitor appears to only have a VGA input (i.e. is analog only), you will just want to make sure that the new computer has a VGA port or at least a DVI-A compatible (aka analog DVI) port that you could use a DVI-to-VGA adapter with.

#5 ENIAC 2

ENIAC 2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I have to agree with Netghost56. A new system would make you a lot happier. From what this "Arm Chair Geek" has learned over time is that newer hardware and software have become very demanding of resources. My old HP MCE 1095c power supply finally fried so instead of buying a new supply, I went all out and bought a whole new system. An x64 HP ENVY 700-074 with 12 gig ram and a 2TB hard drive. DANG! This booger's fast! I think it was a good deal for $719 at Best Buy??? I do want to pull my old HD which is 32 bit and put it in this machine as dual boot but am trying to figure out if I can run 32 on an x64 system. They are both HP with ATA drives.
Anyway FWIW.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Smax:

Would you kindly break it down a bit for me into layman terms? I'm not too computer savvy.

Thanks much:

-eliuri

The monitor you have appears to use the "old style" connections for monitors, which is called a VGA connection. You can read about it here as well as see a picture of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

It is an analog connection.

That monitor would also be able to be used with a DVI connection as long as that DVI connection also supports analog signals (which most DVI ports on graphics cards do). This page gives information about DVI ports as well as a picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

If you do get a computer with a DVI connection, then you will need a DVI to VGA adapter for it to work with your existing monitor. Here is an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998101

I will note that many times computer with DVI ports on the graphics card will come with an DVI to VGA adapter.

Does that help?

#7 eliuri

eliuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thank you , smax:

I'm re-reading those links to get a better understanding.

In terms of the pragmatics of purchasing a new computer, can I safely assume that most will have either a VGA port or a DVI-compatible port?  And in the latter case, an adapter can be readily purchased or will come with the PC?

Is the above correct?

In case I order it online, I might not be able to ask an agent.

-Eliuri

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

As long as a system has built-in, onboard video, it will have a VGA port. More recently some that I've seen come with both a VGA and DVI port for onboard video. Keep in mind that not all systems come with integrated graphics, at least not yet.

You can get a VGA to DVI adapter (to plug a DVI cord into a VGA port on a computer). They're pretty cheap- I have a box full of those at work (They also come free with some video cards). Here's one at Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119042

And a VGA to DVI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998101

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thank you , smax:

I'm re-reading those links to get a better understanding.

In terms of the pragmatics of purchasing a new computer, can I safely assume that most will have either a VGA port or a DVI-compatible port?

Yes.

And in the latter case, an adapter can be readily purchased or will come with the PC?

Yes.

Is the above correct?

In case I order it online, I might not be able to ask an agent.

-Eliuri

Even if you purchase online without the help of an agent, most sites that sell computers will typically list the specs of the computer and will generally indicate what video ports are included on the computer. Even though DVI has become the "preferred" connection, many computers still sold today will come with a VGA port even if they have DVI port.

#10 eliuri

eliuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thank you both Netghost and Smax for clarifying this. It should make purchasing a new system easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users