Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google message

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

My sister's Mac again! She has had 2 popups from Google (Not Apple) to say her computer is slow and she needs to update it otherwise damage to the computer will occur?. There is a link with the popup to do so. To me that is very strange and I have advised her not to click on the link because how would Google be able to update the computer? Her internet ISP speed is not that fast in the area she is in though so that maybe a factor? Any thoughts her thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

You have given your sister the right advice.  Never click on those pop-ups to "speed up your computer."  They are an invitation to install malware.  What browser is she using?  If it is Google Chrome or Firefox, go to the setting to delete all the cookies.   If that does not fix the problem, I recommend uninstalling these programs and re-downloading them and re-installling them.

If she is using Safari, she should go to the Safari menu in the left upper part of her screen and reset Safari.  She should click every choice in this case.

Also, does your sister have an anti-virus program installed.  if not, there is a very good free one from Sophos, a trusted company.  Here is the link:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

Good luck and again, you gave your sister good advice.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Yes, I would not click on the link.  While the odds are dramatically lower that the link will lead to something bad on a Mac (there just is not as much malware, etc out there for Macs as there is for Windows), it is not worth the risk, even if is a lower risk.

I assume those pop-ups happen when she is using a browser and they are a "browser pop-ups".  If so, I doubt they are even from Google.  As a rule of thumb, never take at face value any pop-up that comes up in a browser unless you are doing something that you know should result in a browser pop-up.  This is especially true of anything that "warns" you that "something bad will happen" if you do not click a link, etc.

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thank you both very much for your advice. I am not up on Apple and she has not long had the Apple computer all that long either. I think it is safari she is using but there again I am not 100% on that but will pass on the information you both have given me. Again many thanks. Oh bye the way smax013 you were spot on with safari tool bar and the sister was very pleased with your help there.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thank you both very much for your advice. I am not up on Apple and she has not long had the Apple computer all that long either. I think it is safari she is using but there again I am not 100% on that but will pass on the information you both have given me. Again many thanks. Oh bye the way smax013 you were spot on with safari tool bar and the sister was very pleased with your help there.

Always glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users