Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Reformat my Computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beach Plum

Beach Plum

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

I finally fixed the error in my home built computer. I did not build the computer though, and the only computers I've reformatted were the ones with factory installs on D drive. I want to reformat to start again with a clean machine.

I have disks for Windows 7, Sound, Video and one from Intel called "Express Installer. I am unsure what order to install or if there is more to know.

I have two driver programs in Programs and Features: Marvell61xx and Marvell91xx Driver. I assume they came from the Intel disk and know one does Raid and the other the HD. This is the main concern so I am asking for advice, I don't understand these programs.

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2013 - 11:04 AM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

This is what I do http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Most all your questions can be answered by studing the guide above.

Go to the mobo manufacture site and DL chipset, graphic, audio drivers ect. Always best to use the latest version rather than something on a disc which is probably out dated.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 Beach Plum

Beach Plum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

cool thanks. I have a DX58SO2_ motherboard, so I guess the reason I don't have ethernet disks is there weren't any and that should work out of the gate?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Those drivers would have been on the Intel Driver disk that came with the Intel Motherboard. Before doing anything I would go to Intels website and download the latest drivers for Your motherboard and put them on a disk for easy, permanent storage.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Beach Plum

Beach Plum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

I found them there. I will DL newer drivers for a DVD disk too. I am working though Sandman's link. It's very interesting. I had just recently heard of SSDs so I am taking my time and defining new terms. Drivers have always been a word I nodded at with things like 'kernel' and 'hardware abstraction layer', thought of as nifty but not personally useful things to know. Drivers, Drives, Bios, vague old terms I want to understand clearly now.

Rapid Storage Technology drivers I see recommended and Marvell dissed, though I am in the dark what is the name of the chipset I am running, I assume it is the 960 part in system information but am unsure of downloaded drivers I got. I need to associate them properly. I am exploring my Motherboard's Disk now.  RST is an option there. There is a nice report and some links for Intel Utilities.

Is there any reason at all to make a second partition? After nearly two years I still have a terabyte free. My first HD was 100 MB (discounting a commodore which ran on a 5 inch floppy) and I remembered how amazing people were who used a 20 MB drive. Anyway, a terabyte is simply too big, lol, but I wouldn't want to go back to using jpg out of necessity

Edited by Beach Plum, 23 September 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi, I do not use more than one partition per drive. Multiple partitions are something some users like.

They use each partition for different types of files. I prefer to use directories to organize my files.

The problem with Multiple partitions comes down to be that You may find one partition is filled up and another is nearly empty. Using sub-directories lets you put anything in the appropriate directory until the drive fills up.

A SSD used as a boot drive will load Windows and programs much faster. The drawback is that they are much more expensive than a hard drive on a per gigabyte basis.

My Laptops are both SSD equipped as is My one desktop. My other Desktop a All-In-One is still under warranty so I haven't changed it out, yet. With a SSD drive it is important to read user reviews as there have been problematic drives sold, And they turn up as refurbs all the time. I bought the brand I use based on reliability and their 5 year Warranty. Reliable trumps speed in my book.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users