Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card whining on idle/crashing in certain games (HD 7970)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nBlue

nBlue

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

System specifications:
--
RAM: 16 GB
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z87
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7970
PSU: 850W Gold OCZ Modular Power Supply
--

Problem:

-Graphics card emits coil whine even when no games or graphically intensive applications are running. The wine is periodic/on and off. Usually lasts 2-3 seconds per whine.

-Card emits a sound that sounds like the fans are hitting something while on the Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm main screen.

-Driver crashes in certain games. This causes the screen to freeze (while the audio continues). The screen then goes black after a period of time, and the game returns to normal sometime after that, stating that the driver crashed but has recovered.

Additional notes:

-Card is plugged into one PCI-E 3.0x16 slot.

-Never noticed this problem before I upgraded to my new Sabertooth board.

-Board was accidentally hit by the head of my modular liquid cooler (H100i) a time or two, but the motherboard itself is armored (TUF series), so I'm doubtful that this is the problem. There are no issues with the board that I can tell. The card was tried in each of the board's PCI-E 3.0x16 slots, and the same problems mentioned above were present in both slots.

Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I would start the RMA Process on your video card, as that seems to be the likely culprit here.  I say this due to similar experiences I have had with ATI Oriented video cards.  

#3 nBlue

nBlue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can we rule out the possibility of the new motherboard being defective? I ask because I didn't ever have these problems before I installed the new board. I only had the previous board for a month or two though, to be fair.

Would the hit from the cooler head be enough to... maybe mess with the PCI slots a bit? It hit around that area.  There are no other problems with the board sans that, though.

Edited by nBlue, 22 September 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,394 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

If you think that the board is the problem...simply switch boards.

If A has the problem, but B doesn't...it's the board.  If not, then it's something else.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Can you take a picture of the spot where the damage supposedly took place so we can closely examine to rule out damage to the motherboard?

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yes you should RMA it. However, In my experience a lot of video cards are known to have junk fans that can't even be oiled with 3in1 machine oil. The fans bearing casing has a closed off housing. Typically a fan would have a sticker covering a plug that pops out gaining acces to the bearing so you can drop a couple drops of oil in there. Doing this will refurbish the life of the fan for another 3 months till it dries out and needs oiled again. The only option here would be to buy an after market heatsink fan that fits the card. Arctic Cooling has a nice line up of after market fans heat/sinks etc. They have only one version for your card and costs $120 yes I know that sounds expensive, but you're are getting a lot for that. You're protecting your initial investment of your card with something of quality you should have gotten in the first place. These coolers are quiet good quality and is the only place I shop at for any aftermarket stuff I need. I highly recommend them. I have had these fans last for 3 years non stop with little maintenance/cleaning. Here's the kicker to these cooler's, if you need to replace just the fan it's $4.99. You don't have to rebuy into another heatsink/fan etc. These fan replacements the shroud is deisgned to just snap right on the heatsink. One for your card... http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/554/accelero-xtreme-iii.html?c=2182

#7 ENIAC 2

ENIAC 2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

My ATI started whining months ago so I took it out, blew it out with air, sprayed the fan good with WD40, blew it out again then re-installed it. It worked wonderful until last week as my power supply fried this time. Since XP is on way out, I dumped a ton on a new Win 8 machine. I am totally lost with this box!

#8 nBlue

nBlue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yes you should RMA it. However, In my experience a lot of video cards are known to have junk fans that can't even be oiled with 3in1 machine oil. The fans bearing casing has a closed off housing. Typically a fan would have a sticker covering a plug that pops out gaining acces to the bearing so you can drop a couple drops of oil in there. Doing this will refurbish the life of the fan for another 3 months till it dries out and needs oiled again. The only option here would be to buy an after market heatsink fan that fits the card. Arctic Cooling has a nice line up of after market fans heat/sinks etc. They have only one version for your card and costs $120 yes I know that sounds expensive, but you're are getting a lot for that. You're protecting your initial investment of your card with something of quality you should have gotten in the first place. These coolers are quiet good quality and is the only place I shop at for any aftermarket stuff I need. I highly recommend them. I have had these fans last for 3 years non stop with little maintenance/cleaning. Here's the kicker to these cooler's, if you need to replace just the fan it's $4.99. You don't have to rebuy into another heatsink/fan etc. These fan replacements the shroud is deisgned to just snap right on the heatsink. One for your card... http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/554/accelero-xtreme-iii.html?c=2182

The whine occured even with the fans unplugged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users