Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer can't find any wireless networks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChaiTyto

ChaiTyto

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Ok, first things first, I'm using an HP pavilion dv6-2155dx, running windows 7 x64.

Now my problem is that suddenly my computer can't locate any networks at all. I know our network is working since the other computers in the house can connect fine, but mine can't even find it. It claims it's connected to an unidentified network with no access. It started yesterday morning all of a sudden. I got on my computer, opened chrome, and it loaded a few pages before crapping out and claiming it couldn't find any networks. I did a system restore to a few days ago assuming it was the updates that had been recently installed and it seemed to work since I was able to connect again. But then this morning, even though no new updates had been installed, it did it again. I restarted, installed the updates again, and am now running a virus scan but still no dice. The hard switch is on and the wireless assistant says everything is fine so I have no idea what to do. Please help?

Edited by ChaiTyto, 22 September 2013 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have been looking for specs for your HP laptop and they are obviously highly classified - details are thin on the ground !  All I can find is that 'There is integrated WLAN' which is not terribly informative but suggests that the WLAN capacity is incorporated into the motherboard.

It is possible for these chips to die, while still appearing to be operational. The simplest way to check this is to borrow a wireless USB dongle and see if that restores connectivity. If it does then you have a choice of continuing with this or trying to repair / replace the on-board. This may be feasible if it is a plug-in module, but I think yours is integrated onto the mobo. In which case, it the USB dongle works for you, continue with it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

System Drivers

Of the 4 listed, one is for bluetooth, one is for ethernet...the Atheros driver is WIFI in many systems, Broadcom less so these days.

Go to Device Manager...uninstall the current WLAN drivers...try the Atheros drivers.  Current drivers may be damaged and malfunctioning.

Louis

#4 ChaiTyto

ChaiTyto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the input guys, but actually the virus scan wasn't turning anything up because I was using an outdated version. I copied the new one from another computer and ran it and found a few Trojans that were blocking access somehow. Anyway I'm able to connect no problem now. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users