Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Html Help Files In Windows And Other Programs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer4me

zimmer4me

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hi ..am new to this forum so apologies if I have not posted in the correct place.
I am running XP home all up todate with latest patches etc with Zone alarm sec suite , windows defender and spybot seach and destroy.
I have just recently noticed that all my html help files (.chm) no longer come up and I believe it must be being blocked by security software somewhere.
Can anyone suggest how I can correct this problem or work out a way to identfiy what is stoppping access
The files are still there on the pc but do not display.
many thanks
JK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:13 PM

Shooting in the dark: popup blocker? Antivirus tool that blocks popups? Have you tried holding down the control key while you open the file?

#3 zimmer4me

zimmer4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:48 AM

Have tried you suggestion but am afraid no joy !
regards
JK

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

Have you tried running sfc /scannow?
Error Checking?
Checking the box in advanced internet options to allow active content to run on the computer?
Is javascript enabled?
Scripting in IO security settings?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

And the next, most obvious question: what kind of security programs are you running?

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Have tried you suggestion but am afraid no joy !

No Joy sounds like a term used in fighter pilot lingo when I was in the service years ago.

I would suggest running HijackThis and please to follow the below instructions:

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure
And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#7 Gentic

Gentic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

yea, i had tht problem myself...maybe it is your blocker cuz it was not opening all my files right or download :thumbsup:

#8 zimmer4me

zimmer4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:45 PM

I have taken on board all that has been said and run all checks and suggestions etc and now passed over the hijackthis log in that forum area as still no luck.
JK

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

Now that you have posted a log in the HJT forum it would be best not to make changes to your system, as changes will make your log old and viod. It is best just to let your log sit and be patient. The folks in the HJT forum are very busy, so it can take a few days to get a response. Please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until your log has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond.

There are currently 101 unaswered logs.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

LINK to your log.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 27 April 2006 - 03:09 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 zimmer4me

zimmer4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:38 AM

Ok I have found the answer myself trawling the net so here it is :
It was a registration of dll problem. It turns out that my help files had become unregistered somehow.
Some had suggested making some additional keys via regedit and others suggesting to "unblock" via properties on the actual .chm files all of which did not work cos the files were not blocked in the first place.
Then I came across a great little prog called "MJ's help diagnostics" ..see www.helpware.net
This scans all MS help files and can repair where necessary
ALL HAS NOW RETURNED TO NORMALITY !
Cheers
JK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users