Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Infection and now Primary Drive SMART Bad / F1 to Resume.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marcos602phx

marcos602phx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

I was getting ready to document and post the issue I was running into with Malware into the Logs forum but thought I need to ask before doing that:

I was having issues with my computer not allowing me to login, running incredibly slow before allowing me in and when I called up apps they were incredibly slow.

I moved to download SpyBot Search and Destroy and (during this time was booting my computer up in W XP "safe" mode) .... it found issues that it "resolved".  I continued to run it over and over to verify. 

I then downloaded Malwarebytes and continued to run that until clean. 

I finally was able to run Avast Quick scan.

I tried a boot scan but it never would work.  I then was eventually able to run a full scan.

I believe that I turned around and ran CCleaner and it was successful in cleaning my registry.  At this point I can remember the entire sequence but this is pretty close.

I thought I was really close to being on track and my computer was then allowing me to login but was still "slow".  About this time I noticed that during boot I was getting Chkdsk on 3 occasions (sp).  That now has gone away.

I continue to get the msconfig window appear when not in "safe" mode.

During boot, I am now getting Primary Drive SMART Bad / Backup / F1 to Resume.

I did run RKILL and it indicated no malware issues and hung up on the registry .EXE, .BAT section.

I'm able to hit F1 and brings me in fine.  I've now started backups.

I just bought this drive about 2 months ago.

So my question is, is this drive "retiring" or is this issue related to the Malware issue I was having?  Do I just need to start over with a new drive?

Based on what I'm now seeing tonight with the "Bad" drive I'm guessing I'm beyond the Malware Logs forum.

Thanks.

M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Since it's happening on boot, it's the SMART feature of the drive reporting to the system that it is failing. RMA it if you can.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology and is used to detect imminent hard drive failure.

SMART warnings should be taken seriously — the system rarely produces false alarms. That's because SMART tracks the cumulative number of errors over time.

When a SMART system yells for help, there's real, persistent, and uncorrectabletrouble afoot. The afflicted hard drive is almost surely facing near-term failure. Error-correction routines might keep the drive working for a little while longer, but there's no fixing it.

So when you see a warning along the lines of SMART Status BAD. Backup and Replace, you're on borrowed time. You should immediately stop whatever you're doing and make a full backup of everything on the drive. Replace the drive with a new one, and restore your backups. Don't try to salvage the bad drive — it's junk.

Using and understanding SMART hard-drive tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 marcos602phx

marcos602phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ok.  Looks like I have 2 separate issues going on.  Just gotta grab my pst and finish scanning my installs folder and backups are done.

Off to get a new drive.

Thanks!!!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Since you indicated you also were dealing with malware issues, be careful restoring your backup files.

The safest practice is not to restore any files with the following file extensions: .exe, .scr, .bat, .com, .cmd, .msi, .pif, .ini, .htm, .html, .hta, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected if your machine was infected. Compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) are included because some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them.

It is also best practice to scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users