Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting up HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RythTheYoshi

RythTheYoshi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hi,

I have had many problems in the past with this laptop. It has gone through a lot, and it is about time to get a new laptop. However, I would like to get as much information off the hard drive as possible. Sadly, the laptop has not been able to boot up reliantly. It usually would be able to boot up normally, but now sometimes it will not even power on upon pressing the power button. When it does, the screen stays black, the LED lights come on, but nothing happens. No noise is emitted from the laptop, either; no fan noise or anything. I've tried hooking up the laptop to my external monitor, but that did not help at all. The oddest part of this is that it was fine working just about four to five hours ago. If anyone has any insight, it'd be pretty helpful right now. The laptop is a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv2500.

Thanks ahead of time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

If the intent is to retrieve files from the hard drive...remove it and attach it as a secondary drive to another system...and move the data files desired.

After that...you can attempt to troubleshoot system issues.

Louis

#3 RythTheYoshi

RythTheYoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Oh, honestly didn't think of that. I feel stupid now. >.<

Still, is there anyway to get the laptop back up? Just in case I do need to run it or something?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Without a clear definition of what the problem might be...there are many reasons a system may not boot, starting with failure by any one of several hardware components (including the PSU, the hard drive, and the motherboard)...it's impossible to speculate on whether it will work again.

That's the purpose of troubleshooting...after valued data files are saved/moved.

The HP System Support Webpage gives an idea of commonly known situations that may exist.

Louis

#5 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Test voltage output of AC Power Adapter.   

Are any of the LED lights blinking?

Edited by Nephilim1955, 22 September 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#6 RythTheYoshi

RythTheYoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'll look into the troubleshooting guides, then. Thank you!

The AC adapter is working, and I know so because I can get a charge to the laptop. I don't know how much output it is giving exactly, but enough to be recognized. Upon booting, I get the power and led lights that are above the keyboard to light up, but nothing else. It remains at a black screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users