Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive upgrade to Compaq EVO 400C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shadmin

Shadmin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hello,

I am currently trying to upgrade a hard drive on a Compaq EVO 400C to an Western Digital WDScorpio EIDE 60GB hard drive and thus far have not been able to get it to work? Doesn't seem that the hard drive is being recognized by the system CPU/MOTHERBOARD? I can't see why the hard drive which is made for small laptops/notebooks should be incompatible? Wondering about the FAT and the larger capacity hard drive as well? Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2013 - 12:41 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

The fact that it is a laptop hard drive can be the problem. Laptop drives can be a nuisance to jumper due to the fact that thy typically come with no jumpers and the jumpers are not that easy to locate.

What type of cable is in the computer? Another usually bigger source of the problem of using a IDE laptop drive in a desktop is the converter that is necessary to connect it to the 3.5" cable. What Converter are you using? Can You post the make and model or  link to it?

Be careful putting the converter onto the Laptop drive. Since the converter has to have power to it to power the drive, putting the converter the wrong way can destroy the laptop drive by putting power where it shouldn't be. The Converter depending on design may be capable of being hooked up wrong.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Shadmin

Shadmin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for the reply,

The COMPAQ Evo 400C is a compact laptop computer, albeit a bit older now, but nonetheless a laptop not a desktop which is why it's puzzling that an EIDE hard drive made for laptops would have any issues? I am wondering as I stated earlier about system limitation possibly due an out of date BIOS or some other limitation on hard drive sizes, like the 8.4GB limitation on systems made before 1998 or 528MB with systems made before 1994 etc?

Edited by Shadmin, 28 September 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

hi, So It appears that You are saying the drive is not being detected?

Does it show in the BIOS?

How Large was the old drive?

Make sure no pins are bent.

Does it only not show when You go to install Windows?

The Old drive still works?

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users