Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghosting/Copydisk an SSD UEFI to a HDD and back again ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike J P

Mike J P

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

G'day

For years I've always used Norton Ghost and more recently Easeus Partition Master to Ghost / copy disk my entire HDD system drive to another HDD as my method of backing up. I prefer this method as if something goes wrong I simply replace the Hard drive with my ghost copy one then format the troubled disk which becomes the new backup ghost copy.

A few months ago I upgraded my system with a 128gb OCZ Vector Solid State drive as the windows boot drive and use two HDD's in RAID-0 for games and software plus a 2gb HDD as the storage/junk drive. Using Easeus Partition Master I've been able to ghost the OCZ vector SSD to my spare 1TB HDD Seagate but haven't had any success trying to copy that back from the HDD to the SSD. My system is  UEFI / AHCI capable so windows is installed using UEFI which uses I think three or four partitions. Copying that to the HDD is straight forward, I end up with the four little partitions on the HDD with a massive 892gb unallocated space behind it. The problem is I can't obviously copy or ghost the whole 1TB on to any 128gb disk and trying to copy the individual partitions back to the SSD without the 892gbs of unallocated space is too fiddly which I haven't successfully been able to do yet. 

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to achieve here or do I need to buy another 128gb SSD to do this ?

Perhaps there is another method for backing up an SSD disk image ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

I've used Easeus Partition Master to copy the Windows partition to and from SSDs, no problem.

Cloning partitions is the way to go, IMO....unless you are dealing with SSD to SSD of the same or similar size.  The size limitations are obvious.

Louis

#3 Mike J P

Mike J P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Great, thanks for that  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users