Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need ideas for a USB Headset for Google Voice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ntkbo

ntkbo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've been reading numerous Amazon reviews and am still having a hard time coming to a decision.  I'm not a gamer and I don't use speech recognition software.  I just need it for VOIP calls.  But I don't want it to be flimsy, uncomfortable, or suffer from static or line interference.  I prefer a USB headset because I read that they were better than the ones that plug into your headphone jacks.  Just when I think I've found the so called "perfect" headset, I read several reviews that point out a serious issue.

Does anyone have any personal real life experience with a headset that they've used for VOIP calls that has been dependable and gives great call reception?

Thank you

Edit:  I'm using a Windows 7 laptop

Edited by ntkbo, 21 September 2013 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have an old logitech headset similar to this one Amazon.com : Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset H390 (Black) : Computer Headsets : Electronics

that I used for Skype calls.

I'm not sold on using Google for VOIP calls. I don't like the idea of giving them a phone #  for one. I'm not sure how reliable it is

or if Google would just drop the service some day. If it is not profitable, they'll eventually drop it.

I spend $60 a year for a Skype phone # and unlimited calling in USA and Canada. I've used the same portable phone for 3 years that

costs today around $90. The computer doesn't have to be on to use it. Just plugged into jack on a cheap router the same as my

computers. The phone comes with its own modem. Easy set up.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ntkbo

ntkbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thank you buddy215.  That's very interesting.  I recently got rid of my home phone with service through my cable internet provider because the telemarketing/wrong number calls were trying to drive me crazy.  Getting placed on the National Do Not Call Registry doesn't work when the telemarketers have already established a relationship with the party that they are calling.  Since they appear to have established a relationship with the previous owners of that number, they just kept calling and calling.  No matter how many times I told them they had the wrong number, I kept getting calls.  If not by them then by others.

When you say portable phone, are you talking about a cell phone?  Or are you talking about the Magic Jack set up?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

It's not a cellphone and certainly not Magic Jack. It's portable...like walk around in the house or yard....

I use it to block all calls except the ones in my phone list..no crank calls, surveys or telemarketers. You are right,

they ignore the do not call lists. They make themselves untraceable or work from other countries like India.

I leave the phone on 24/ 7. It comes with all those extras such as voice mail, etc. It's as reliable as your ISP service

and electric service. NO 911 emergency calling.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 ntkbo

ntkbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

I know you said you had a Skype phone number but I didn't grasp the fact that it was also a Skype phone.  (I'm now assuming that it is based on a websearch and this webpage but please correct me if I'm wrong http://shop.skype.com/phones/#/categoryid=2&sortby=3&subcategoryid=1|2&filter=&manufacture=&price_range=~75|75~150|150~225|225~&page=1&mac=0)

I like that concept but am unsure how to implement it with my current set up.  I don't have a router.  I have a modem with wireless capabilities included.  So there's only room for one ethernet cord and that goes to my laptop.  Can a wireless modem still work with a router?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

The dual phone 4088 is the type of phone I use..the first two phones in that link of yours. The only difference that I 

know of in mine and the 4088 are cosmetic. Mine has a GE logo but the same manufacturer, RTX as the 4088.

You would need to use a switch or a router with more than one jack. I used a switch until my ISP changed out

my 8 year old cable modem for a newer one. The new modem and my switch had some unknown problem. So I

picked up a cheap TP-Link router with 5 jacks and now all is well.

Whether a switch will work with your modem, is best tested by using one. This is the one I used:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet TE100-S5 5-Port Ethernet Switch (5 x 10/100Mbps Auto-MDIX RJ-45 Ports): Electronics

I don't recall if an ethernet cable came with it or not. If you don't have an extra one there is one in that link for under $2.

#7 ntkbo

ntkbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users