Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rokowski

Rokowski

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hello guys!
My name is Rok and i need your help.Today my motherboard started making some weird sound. Its first time ever it happened and it wont turn off. As fast as motherboard gets hot (in speccy) it starts buzzing.I cleaned cpu box today, but i dont think its beacuse of that.
Btw, my motherboard is Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP35-DS3 (Socket 775).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

As fast as motherboard gets hot (in speccy)

How hot is 'gets hot' ?  Depending on the processor installed Speccy may report either the core temperature or the motherboard temperature or both.

As a guide, processor temperature should NOT exceed 75-80C (175F), motherboard temperatures probably should not exceed 40-45C (110F). For reference, Speccy gives the current temperatures for my system as : motherboard - 28C; graphics processor - 61C; hard drives - 26C.

You may have a cooling problem. You say you have cleaned out the CPU box - I presume you mean the heatsink assembly.  Are you certain the fan is working ? If the fan is working, then it the thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink may not be forming a thermal bond and need replacing. Are all the other fans in the system working ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Rokowski

Rokowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hello, well depends it around 50-60 celsium and i think that i removed some of that paste, but i dont know where to buy it now :/

#4 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

That temperature should be alright, maybe depends which CPU that you're using. Also are you using a stock Intel CPU cooler (heatsink and fan supplied with CPU) or an aftermarket type?

I actually just had this same kind of problem with one of my Pentium 4 machines. There was a constant high pitch noise that sound kind of like worn out brakes on a car. Turned out there was a bad capacitor on motherboard. Luckily I had a spare capacitor of the same voltage and uf rating so I just changed it and now all better. It was starting to give lower vcore and L2 as well as system RAM started running about half speed.

My 2 usually are at about 65*C on a socket 478 Northwood core 2.8GHz and about 70*C on a socket 478 Prescott core 3.4GHz. That's for 100% full load though.

I use Artic Silver 5 thermal compound on mine, helps keep temperature about 8*C - 10*C cooler than other stuff has. 3.5g tube should cover about 4 - 6 CPUs or GPUs... maybe more if you're thrifty :grinner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/330960222385?lpid=82

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hello, well depends it around 50-60 celsium and i think that i removed some of that paste, but i dont know where to buy it now :/

You can purchase it online from Newegg.

You shouldn't need more that a drop about the size of a grain of rice.

Clean all of the old thermal compound from both the CPU and the heatsink before applying the new compound,

Edited by dc3, 22 September 2013 - 10:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Rokowski

Rokowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Well i solwed problem.
You can close theard now.

#7 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Well i solwed problem.
You can close theard now.

What was wrong? Would like to know the solution :)

And you can get thermal paste at someplace like bestbuy or some local electronics store.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#8 Rokowski

Rokowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Friend of mine got me thermal paste and i just removed old one from cpu and heatsink.. And seems like that was  the only problem. :))

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2013 - 10:54 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Awesome man thanks for the info!

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2013 - 10:57 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users