Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan runs at 4300 rpm all the time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kokopeli

kokopeli

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

Problem: Fan runs at 4300 rpm all the time. Fan and headsink both clean. Loud, but I would like it to be quiet like it was for years.

Gateway DX4822

Updated BIOS

Windows 7 Home Prem

Dual boot Ubuntu Linux 12.04

CPU temp 27 deg C

Sys Temp 37 deg C

Smart Fan - tried it with both ENABLED and DISABLED

Fan us running fast (no bearing noise) all the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Walt

Edited by kokopeli, 21 September 2013 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

I presumed the Fan readings are on BIOS utility. Have you tried checking the thermal paste for the CPU and ambient room temperatures?

https://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck20070817112.shtml

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000696.htm -> General Information

Tekken

#3 kokopeli

kokopeli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thanks BC for your reply.

Yes, the temp and fan speed readings are from the BIOS.

Thanks for the links.

Yes this problem started in the heat of the Summer but the fan didn't slow down when the temps went down at night.

Of course I have to make some assumptions about details that I don't know for sure what the facts are. I tried to find out what the expected behavior should be for RPM vs. temp. I was not able to find that out. From my experience with small speed controlled motors (radio controlled airplanes use CD ROM drive motors that have rewound coils to accept higher currents) I believe that 4300 rpm is FULL speed. If the controller in this computer is capable of incremental (not just two speeds - low and high) control, I should be hearing some modulation of the speed, not just a constant 4300 rpm.

Another assumption is that 27 C should not be hot enough to make the fan run at full speed. Does anyone know what the temp vs. speed specs should be?

Another assumption that I am laboring under is: the temp sensor for the CPU is a solid state junction that is part of the CPU wafer.

From those assumptions I would conclude that the 27 deg C that the BIOS sees, tells me that the CPU is not hot,and along with the ambient temp (about 20 deg C) and therefore the problem is probably with the controller circuit. This would rule out problems with the heat conductive paste between the CPU and the cooling fins.

Does anyone know where the controller circuit is? I would guess it is on the motherboard somewere.

This all leads me to think that the only fix is to replace the MB - eek.

Well I guess that noise canceling head phones would be another solution, eh? LOL

Okay, somebody please poke holes in my line of reasoning. Or better yet tell me that there is a way of fixing the controller - not likely, eh?

Thanks,

Walt

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

This all leads me to think that the only fix is to replace the MB - eek.

I would go out and replace the stock cpu fan first just in case.

Tekken

#5 kokopeli

kokopeli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for your help.

The fan just started behaving properly.

Dang, I hate it when that happens - intermittant faults are impossible to troubleshoot.

Walt

ps - I am installing a case fan now. The stock setup is just PS fan and CPU fan.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

It could be that just the system is filthy and needs some TLC. A dirty pc and fans/heat-sink raise the temp and bios see's that and steps the fan speeds up full bore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users