Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mp3 to notepad screw up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 genersweet

genersweet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

I accidentally dropped an mp3 file on to "notepad" now my music file looks like Egyptian hieroglyphs and can no longer be played.I would just download the file again but its a part of a larger 6gb file "discography" that I will have to spend days waiting to download again. Is there any way to undo this screw up or point me in the right direction. I havent closed/changed/or yet saved the file. As soon as I screwed up I just stoped using everything. os is windows 7/64 thank you and I am truly greatful for any advise.

Moderator Edit: Moved from the Programming forum to a more appropriate forum

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 September 2013 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Just opening a file for reading does not change the content of the file. If the file played before and does not play now, then you had to have saved over it.

You'll be forced to download the file again or restore from backup.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hi,

Do not Save that file.

For safety I would Copy it from where it is to the Desktop as a backup for now.

What type of icon does it show in Computer?

Does it still look like a Music file or does it show as a text file icon?

What happens if You drop it onto your media player, Does it play?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users