Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data recovery from external USB hard drive that shows as RAW

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I-was-STOOPID!

I-was-STOOPID!

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'd appreciate any help to recover my data from an external USB hard drive that now shows as RAW when connected to a DELL Latitude E5520 laptop under Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit.  Windows asks to format the drive when it is connected.  I have said "No" to this prompt.  The external hard drive is a laptop-sized 250GB Western Digital brand housed inside a 3rd party (Rosewill) enclosure.  I've never had any problems with this drive before and it worked fine the previous time I used it.  I always eject my external hard drives properly.  I hope we can rescue the important files.  I have a blank 1TB Western Digital external USB drive that can be used to store any recovered data.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

You could use Recuva to recovery your data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 I-was-STOOPID!

I-was-STOOPID!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, dc3.  Will Recuva work on a hard drive that Windows does not recognize as formatted?

This external hard drive when plugged into the computer will show a drive letter, but as soon as I try accessing that drive it asks me to format the disk.   The Windows Disk Managment shows the hard drive with a healthy partition but as RAW.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Give it a try using the deep scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 I-was-STOOPID!

I-was-STOOPID!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Using the deep scan seems to be promising so far.  Stage 1 of 3: Scanning drive for deleted files is showing 15,838 files found.  Looks like this will take some time since this is a 250GB drive.  I will report back on any additional progress/trouble once this process finishes.

#6 I-was-STOOPID!

I-was-STOOPID!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Recuva seemed to work like a charm, dc3. :thumbup2:  15,745 files were found out of the original 15,838 deleted files found.  278 were ignored.  I ended up fully recovering 15,105 files total.  I'm a bit concerned about the 278 that were ignored, but it looks like the majority of what wasn't already backed up was recovered.  Is there any way to tell what files were ignored via Recuva? 

Now I have to look through a bunch of files that got generic filenames when they were restored to see what they really are.  But I got them!   Thanks a bunch, dc3!

Once I've verified the recovered files, can I just reformat the bad hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users