Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows could not search for new updates

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cbstamm

Cbstamm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hello everyone,

When I try to run windows update I receive the error:

Windows could not search for new updates

An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.

Code 80080005: Windows update encountered an unknown error.

I have had this problem for a number of months. I have tried the windows update reset, the fixit tool, the system readiness update tool and many other things - nothing has worked. Figured I would post here to see if there are any suggestions. I am willing to retry anything I have done before.

Thank You,

Christine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

There could be a number of problems associated with your issue. Do you have Windows configured for automatic updating? Have you ran any scans for malware? Have you made any significant changes to your system prior to this issue?

This could be a Winsock problem. Please open an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator) then type NETSH WINSOCK RESET and press enter. You will be advised to reboot. Please do so and try updates again.

Also please run System File Checker by opening an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator) and typing sfc /scannow. (note space between sfc and /scannow. Allow it to run. This will attempt to repair any corrupt files. Please run two to three times.

Report back if this fails to solve the problem.

Good Luck

#3 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

To answer the initial questions:

1) I used to have windows configured for automatic update, but when it stopped working, I turned it off.

2) Malwarebytes full scan returns no issues.

3) No major updates have been made to the computer.

I ran the Winsock reset, rebooted the computer and tried windows update again. I get the same error as before.

I ran "sfc /scannow" and get the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service".

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Okay. Could be a problem with TrustedInstaller. Go to start and type in services.msc and hit enter. Scroll down to Windows Modules Installer and double-click on it. Set the startup type to Manual then click OK.

Then try running sfc /scannow.

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

Good Luck

#5 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

When I go to start and type in services.msc, nothing is found.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hmmmm, are you going to the "windows orb" and clicking? A search box should open. Here type in services.msc and then hit enter. Services should show up at the top. If it doesn't then there is another issue going on here

Try just typing "services" (without quotes) and hit enter.It should show at top. If that does not work go to bottom right corner of screen and right click. This will bring up Task Manager. Highlight and click to open Task Manager. A Task Manager window should open. Bottom right in that window you will see "services". Highlight and click to open. This will open "services". Then follow instructions in post #4.

Some virus infections will attempt to stop you from gaining access to these tools for self-preservation. Please keep that in mind.Also if your Firewall is turned off and antivirus is not working that is a clue to possible infection.

Please post back with results.

Good Luck

#7 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I searched for services.msc and services. Nothing came up.

I got Task Manager open, clicked on the services tab and then the services button. I scrolled down to Windows Modules Installer and opened it. The Startup type is already set to Manual, so I changed it to Disable and applied that, then changed back to Manual and applied that. I tried sfc /scannow again and I got the same message as before: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service".

My firewall is on and anti-virus seems to be working. Any additional virus checkers that you recommend I run to be certain I have no problem?

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just a thought but please check and make sure computer clock shows the correct date and time. Usually (according to MS error codes ending in ooo5)

means access denied. So it is important to make sure you are running as Administrator when performing Administrative Tasks.

To double-check please click on Start Orb and in the search box type cmd. At the top of the screen cmd should be highlighted. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. You will receive a prompt from Windows Command Processor select "yes" . This will open an elevated command window. Now type in sfc (space) /scannow hit enter and allow it to run. Hopefully it will run. If no joy

Let's try this: Open Windows Update and click on Change Settings. Select "Never Check For Updates" in the dropdown and click OK. Then exit. Now go back to Windows Update click on Change Settings then select Install Updates Automatically then click OK. Then try manually checking for updates.

Also what was the last successful update installed and when (check Update History) and what was the first failure?

Do you have a Repair cd/dvd or possibly an OEM DVD? May have to do a Repair Install. This will not affect files, etc.

Instructions can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Reply back and let us know.

Good Luck

Edited by sikntired, 24 September 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

I did figure out why the search was not working correctly. In the Start Menu properties, the option for "Search programs and Control Panel" was unchecked. Once I checked that option, the search worked as expected.

I did the next step. I started cmd as Administrator and ran sfc /scannow. Same error as the other times.

I tried the next step with windows update and it gave the same error (80080005).

My older history is gone. I cleaned it out in one of my prior fix attempts. So I don't know what the last sucessful or first failed update (assuming I ignore Microsoft Security Essentials since that is still getting updated).

I do have a OEM DVD and a repair CD, but this computer is almost 4 years old so the DVDs are Windows 7 but I now have SP1 installed. I think this means I cannot use my DVDs; is that correct?

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Is the time and date correct on the computer? Just click on the date and time in the lower right-hand corner. Also are you sure that

you are "logged on" as the Administrator? You can check by going into "User Accounts". As stated before you have to have Administrator Privileges in order to run Administrative Tasks such as "sfc /scannow". If you are not shown to be the "Administrator"

then create an "Administrator Account" and then run sfc /scannow.

If still no resolution:

At this point I would suggest a Repair Install. This will not affect files, etc.

You can use your Original OEM DVD. Once the system has completed the Repair Install Windows will Update accordingly including SP1.

Make sure you read the link provided in post #8.

Good Luck

Edited by sikntired, 25 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#11 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Time and date is correct.

I have been starting the command prompts as administrator as has been requested (right click and select Run as Administator). Am I supposed to be logged on as admin? That sounds different than what the instructions have been so far.

#12 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Also, I just checked my user account and I am the administrator.

#13 Steve80

Steve80

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

My problem fits the thread, but has different symptoms - I cannot get Windows Update to work at all.

I have a new (well, shop demo) Lenovo G570 laptop running Win 7 Home Premium, x64, 2.50Ghz, i5, 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD.  A-virus (Kaspersky IS 2013) is installed and full scan run.  
Selecting Windows Update brings up a panel with a fat red left margin and the shield in red, with a "clear" cross on it.  Clicking "Check for Updates" produces the error message : "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer."

Restarting makes no difference (I've tried both cold and warm reboots, several times), and anyway the service is running.  Both "Control panel > Admin Tools > Services" and "Start > All Progs >[etc] > Software Environment > Services" report that "wuauserv" is running, and so does a nice utility called "What's Running".

Thank you Sikntired, I have tried both the solutions in post #2 - "Netsh winsock reset" (no problem) and "sfc /scannow" ("Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations") - without success.  I have also looked in "Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off" but can't see anything appropriate.  (I wish I'd stayed with XP - I understood that !)

I have a "new" version of Win 7, i.e. without  Service pack 1 or ANY updates, and I feel vulnerable.

Anyone heard of this fault before ?

(My apologies if you have seen this before - I posted it yesterday, but it seems to have vanished without trace !)

Steve

Sorry everyone - I see my earlier version has been re-threaded - Webmaster please delete this one !!

Edited by Steve80, 26 September 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#14 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Cbstamm: Even while operating as the administrator windows 7 restricts a lot of functions to prevent accidental damage.  Right clicking and running as administrator allows you to utilize these functions without the need to enter a seperate password.

Steve80:

Click start, right click "Computer" and select "manage"

Expand "Services and Applications"

Select "Services"

Scroll down and select "Windows Update"

Click on "Start the service" (or right click and select start.)

If it is already running, click "Restart the service"

edit: spelling

Edited by wing987, 26 September 2013 - 11:17 AM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#15 Cbstamm

Cbstamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

sikntired: I will review the repair install instructions and work on them over the weekend. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users