Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get my Celestron Microscope ,model #44302-A to work on New IMAC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have recently purchased a new IMAC, OSX 10.8.2
I followed instructions shown on the Celestron web site.
Computer was shut down
USB cord of camera was plugged int USB port on computer ( not keyboard)
Computer was started.
Photobooth was started.
Built in camera on IMAC starts working and works fine.
Celestron microscope was listed under Camera button at top of screen
When Celestron is chosen as the camera a revolving loading ICON is shown but that is all
Not image from Celestron microscope is shown.

I use this in my small business to take images of small machine parts. It has been quite useful and want to continue using it with the IMAC.

I checked the USB information and with the microscope plugged to a USB port I find the Microscope listed. See below.

Celestron Digital Microscope:

Product ID:                        0x0105

Vendor ID:                         0x19b4

Version:                             1.00

Serial Number:                 Celestron Digital Microscope

Speed:                               Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:                    Celestron Digital Microscope

Location ID:                       0x1a131000 / 7

Current Available (mA):   500

Current Required (mA):    500

Celestrons last response was :

"The microscope should work with both PC and MAC. There is no drivers for MAC since photobooth is being used. You may have a defective microscope that does not work with the MAC and needs to be replaced."

Since the microscope continues to work fine on the PC I am not sure if it is a problem with the microscope or the IMac. I guess there is no actual install procedure because it is using drivers from photo booth (??)

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Best Regards

Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Have you talked to them recently?  I ask because this is posted to their website for that particular microscope when I went their just a moment ago:

The Mac compatibility issue that affected a small percentage of our customers has been resolved. If you experience a problem using this product with a Mac computer, please contact Celestron Technical Support for assistance. You may call us at 310-803-5955 or email us through our website, www.Celestron.com/support.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hi smax013

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that message when I first went to connect the Celestron and reviewed the web site for advise on connecting to a MAC. I have not called but done it by E Mail. So far the assistance has been very basic advise about plugging the USB into the computer, etc. Like shown on the web site. They have offered to send a new one if I can show a receipt however I have had this microscope for a couple of years and it is probablly out of warranty.

I guess this is essentially a "tethered "camera. Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe a call is in order.

Best Rewgards

Nawtheasta

P.S.  Thinking about their statement about a compatabity issue possiblly the older microscopes had a incompatable hardware issue? Buying a new one ,if necessary, is an option but I would like it to be the solution and not just drag out a problem.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

I was mainly trying to determine if that message had somehow appeared since you last contacted them.  That sounds like it is not the case.  Since you have contacted them, then calling them might not help.  That being said, I would still suggest you try calling them.  The interactivity of a phone call can sometimes be better than email.  If you do call them, then mention the message on the webpage.  It will also allow you to ask if you can still get a new one even if it is out of warranty.

Beyond that, since you more than likely have exhausted their help, we can now see if there is anything we can do.  My guess is that microscope is essentially behaving like a glorified webcam.  If so, then a "document camera" that I have might behave in a similar manner (it is basically just a webcam on a nice "stand" that you can hover over a piece of paper).  When I get home, I will try it with Photo Booth (I assume when you say Photo Booth, you mean the built-in program that is meant to take "selfies" [to use the current term for it] that came with the Mac and that allows you to apply weird filters) to see if it gives me any insight.  I have use that document camera with Google Chat.  No driver was needed...I just had to switch which camera I was using (i.e. change from built-in camera to the USB "document camera").

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hi smax013

Thanks again for your response.

I called Celestron and they advised that there is a 2 year warranty and that there was some sort of hardware issue about a year or so ago. They also offered to send a replacement. I contacted the vendor where I purchased the microscope,( American Science and Surplus). They were good enough to look up my purchase and E mail a copy. It was in Nov. of 2011 so I should be good with the warrenty. I have sent the info. to Celestron and am waiting to hear. Hopefully a new microsope will take care of the issue.

Thanks agin. I will post how it works out

Best Regards

Nawtheasta

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

I am glad to hear that they will send you a replacement. I hope it works as it should.

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Just to conclude.

Yes, Celestron sent a new microscope. It was recoginized by the IMAC and works fine with photobooth. All is well. Thanks for the responses

Best Regards

Nawtheasta

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Glad to hear you have a resolution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users