Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gpencook

gpencook

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

I have a computer that the hard drive is failing on.. It still boots and all.. But it could go at anytime. Does anyone know of a decent program that will clone the drive over to a say a slave drive or make a image to a dvd(s)?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi gpencook

Macrium Reflect is commonly recommended and has worked well for me, but I only use it for backups and backup restoration.
Regardless, the free edition allows for both disk cloning and disk imaging.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Hope this helps!
-r0d3r1ck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

I also use Macrium...but be aware that any effort to clone a hard drive with unknown problems/damage...may result in unsatisfactory results, IME.  The status of the drive may prevent obtaining a decent backup or clone at this point.

Louis

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I've used EaseUS Disk Copy without issues. It's very user friendly, however if you clone to a larger hard drive you will need Partition Magic (or similar program) to expand the drive to fill the extra space. Or you could just create an extended partition.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I've used EaseUS Disk Copy without issues. It's very user friendly, however if you clone to a larger hard drive you will need Partition Magic (or similar program) to expand the drive to fill the extra space. Or you could just create an extended partition.

Easeus also has a program, Partition Master, that is superior to Partition Magic.  Partition Magic hasn't been updated in years and it's developer (Powerquest) has been eliminated by Symantec, who merged parts of the Powerquest products into its own products. 

Wikipedia On Partition Magic

Louis

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Louis. It is Partition Master. I'm always getting the name wrong. :thumbup2:

I used Partition Magic in college and the name has stuck with me ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users