Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP problem except in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyro

Buddyro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

This is my first post here after many years of receiving help for G4TV Tech Sup[ort Forum which was stopped a few months ago by G4TV I presume.  I hope to get help here with a very unusual problem described below.

Multi boot system running Win98SE, Win2k and WinXP Pro with SP3 boots and runs normally in Win98SE and Win2k but not WinXP on 2 different PCs. WinXP boots okay when booted normally and things seem to work for about 30 seconds after boot at which time no programs including StartMenu respond to mouse click, and Task Manager isn't opened when Ctrl-Alt-Del is pressed. Boot WinXP to SafeMode with Networking works as expected which is how I'm posting here. This problem began 9-13-13 on both PCs which lead me to suspect possible virus, but I've found no report from Google searches of this kind of virus recently and am running Avast anti-virus, Spybot Search and Destroy plus Zonealarm. All of the following have been tried, but the problem persists:
1. Ran disk cleanup and defrag
2. Ran chkdsk /r
3. Ran msconfig and unchecked all programs under the startup tab
4. Ran System Restore and restored system to 2 available restore points
5. Restored recent backup image
6. Did repair install
This is the first time I've had an identical problem occur on 2 different PCs simultaneously and the first time I've had the restore of a recent backup image fail to fix any Windows problem. I now wonder if even a fresh install will fix the problem. Both the PCs were originally setup with IDE hard drives and ran without issue for several years, but both PCs were upgraded to sata drives within the past 6 months. Could sata drives be an issue on some systems, and would reverting to IDE drives fix the problem? Does anybody know of possible cause or fix for this problem?

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2013 - 12:58 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyro

Buddyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Why have there been no views of this post, but there have been views and replies of other posts later than this post?  Are there some problems for which nobody has any interest for some reason?

Edited by Buddyro, 25 September 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#3 besscella

besscella

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hi buddyro,

One of the moderators moved this problem to the 'Am I Infected?' forum.

good luck, hope you get the help you need.

sharon. :thumbup2:

#4 Buddyro

Buddyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Step 5 of my initial post which was restore recent backup image was done on just 1 of the 2 PCs. Uninstalling Avast on the PC which did not have an image restored got the system to where Task Manager does launch, and mouse click works albeit very slowly. Finally a Java update was installed although it took about 20 minutes due to slow response. Then Windows updates were installed which returned that PC to normal function. This seems to indicate that Avast update may have been the cause of problems. Now should Spybot be used on that PC, and is there a good free Avast alternative to use for anti-virus?

Then I tried same steps on the PC to which an image was restored which succeeded through the step of Java update, but Windows update doesn't run while all mouse click response remains very slow. Trying to run Windows update it gets to the "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." screen and stays stuck there. Is there any other way to try to get Windows update to run?

#5 Buddyro

Buddyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

A fresh install was done, but same problems persist. Perhaps the answer to the question in my initial post "Could sata drives be an issue on some systems, and would reverting to IDE drives fix the problem?" might be yes. If not that, then it must be some other hardware problem in the system.

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Time to buy a new computer? I mean Windows 98? Come on..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users