Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Book World Edition (white light) not responding

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mous

Mous

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hello,

i have two My Book World Edition (white light) network HDDs from WD and they've worked fine for 2y but now they are buggy.

When i want to acces them via explorer or web browser they are not responding, i can ping them so something works here and I've enabled SSH/telnet connection on them but again not responding so i assume that the HDDs are ok but the control OS has frozen (but 3th TCP layer is still working weird), when i restart them they start normally and work for some time ok but then they stopped working.

I thought that it was caused by the saving feature in the setting but nope. I have the most recent firmware and I've checked logs unsuccessfully. The real question is why they are stopping.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Have you run CHKDSK /R on them to be sure that thety are not failing?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hi thanks for your reply, didn't tried that, because of them being only network (with RJ45) so i was waiting before taking them out of the box.

#4 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

So i didn't had time but finally i got some so here is my progress. I took the HDD out of the box here are images of it if someone is interested http://imgur.com/a/KVkWY , then i tried to plug it into my PC and windows found it but not recognized the file system, yeah, mini tool partition wizard showed my some ext3s and linux swap + some other(dunno what that could be) i should have guessed that. So now i have to wait for my laptop to come and test it on it.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi, Something You could is test the hard drive. It should be a Western Digital drive. To use the Data Lifeguard software the drive does not have o be partitioned or formatted. So these should work OK.

I would use this Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

Data LifeGuard Diagnostics is designed to test the physical condition of your hard drive. This utility is designed for drivers larger than 8.4 GB with model numbers starting with WDxxx. This program is designed to work only in a DOS booted environment.

or the Windows version, I prefer the DOS version it gives a better test in my opinion for internal drives. This one must be used for external USB attached drives.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3&lang=en

This is a Windows version of the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. It will test WD internal and external drives. In additional, it can provide you with the model and serial of WD drives attached to the system.

Since there is a possibility that the drive has a problem, testing should be done.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 October 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

I am back, so i finally mounted the drive to my linux laptop. Its split into 4 partitions swap, DATA, system, unknown(dunno for what this one is) there is some linux in the system partition would need to boot it to figure if its him who is broken i had the drive on for 4h with no failure now i need to figure out way how to check drive for errors in linux :).

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

How about this one, testdisk

TestDisk can

• Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
  • Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
  • Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
  • Fix FAT tables
  • Rebuild NTFS boot sector
  • Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
  • Fix MFT using MFT mirror
  • Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
  • Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
  • Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

Operating systems

TestDisk can run under

• DOS (either real or in a Windows 9x DOS-box),
  • Windows (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7 (x86 & x64),
  • Linux,
  • FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
  • SunOS and
  • MacOS X

Run and see what it shows, That might help someone. I guess there is no desktop you can hook the drive up to and run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard. The testing software does not care what OS the drive has on it.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Tested the HDD with testdisk and fsck both sayed that the drive is ok so i am going to try boot the linux that is on it it the linux on it works i know that the board it broken.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Good Luck, Don't forget to backup, Just in case. I tend to cover all the bases even when the chances of anything happening are very slim.

FWIW I have switched to a faster NAS with mirrored drives for my new purchases. They have more memory and a faster processor and transfer data faster over the network.

I am following this with Interest as I have two of these beasts myself. Both working OK, Knock Wood.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

So update.

I think i fixed it by re-updating the firmware, maybe it was corrupted, i let it run for 10h and it was all OK (just in case i deleted some stuff to get under 80%) right now putting together and going to run longer (few days).

I'll post update then.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Thank You for the update. I am interested in how it works long term. Maybe the firmware in the unit uses files off of the hard drive. To put it another way I wonder how similar it is to a PC where it has a BIOS that boots the OS off of the hard drive. If that is the case I could see the files becoming corrupted or residing where a bad spot developed on the drive.

I could also see them doing it that way since the unit has a hard drive anyway so using that would be cheaper than having a large flas memory that could hold the entire OS.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yeah the drive is partitioned, one is SWAP other is data,then there are two more, one is system and the last don't know what that one is for. So its like small PC yeah :)

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hi

I've never used those and would like to know for future reference...

How did you update the firmware?

and

Was it easy?

Thanks

-=[ James ]=-

#14 Mous

Mous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

James i took the HDD out and checked him for errors on my linux laptop, since i didn't found any i put it back together and booted it up (i took several reboot until it booted) then i quickly opened its web interface and updated the firmware manually through the web interface, updating the firmware manually like replacing certain files on so on that would be too risky and since i wasn't able to open the downloaded firmware i could not do it. I hope i answered all your questions.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, that answers my question :)

-=[ James ]=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users