Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD does not exist anymore (after suspcius activity on PC)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lucgre

Lucgre

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hi,

I've got a Dell XPS 8500 that was runing under Windows 7 on a HDD Seagate ST31000524AS. The PC suddenly began to run really slow and I tried to run Ad-aware, Malaware bytes, AVG, Avast, ... but could not find anything (sometimes the scan freezed or just did not find anything)

Now the HDD is not recognize in the BIOS, I run the computer on a USB External drive under Ubuntu 12.04 and cannot see the HDD in the BIOS or GParted or nothing.

Can anybody help a way or another? (I also have a laptop that seems to run really slowly and I would try to prevent another HDD lost :( )

Thank's a lot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Lucgre :)

Have you tried running the data retrieval procedure by slaving the drive directly on your desktop? This would eliminate any possible low power output when in usb enclosures. If slaving the drive internally by "Now the HDD is not recognize in the BIOS", then it only means the HD board is toast. Seeking a professional would be able to help you into data recovery but may cost you just FYI. One thing to try is using Testdisk (1) or DDRescue (2)  but not necessarily means it could solve the HD not recognized on BIOS since its a hardware problem.

Tekken

#3 Lucgre

Lucgre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi, thank a lot!

In fact this is a complex situation where I really have 3 concerns:

1-Try to "repair" my Seagate HDD or at lease recover data
2-Repair my DVD reader
3-Make sure my Laptop is ok!

I think it was a virus or something like this: The computer slowed down a lot (a bit like this post) and I tried scaning in Safe mode dans normal mode, but didn't work, finely W7 didn't want to open so I tried with Rescue USB drive (my DVD has been killed at the same time as the HDD, exept that I can see my DVD in the Bios). Finely I gave up and tried Ubuntu till I'll find help. But now it's the laptop that seems to run slower.... I tried to scan it from Ubuntu with ClamAV and ESET NOD32, but nothings come up (some false positiv with Clam, nothing with NOD32).

So it's multiple problems and I would surly need to make few posts, but the problemes are linked and it kills me that I havn't been able to find the cause of the problem. Some antivirus found something but the computer freezed... Not really freeze, but as Squingo said :

...the mouse cursor becomes a blue circle and the clock stops ultimately the mouse won't even move at all...

So I havn't been able to finish some scan and don't know what the virus was...

I don't know where to post this and how to ask for help... I'm kind of overwhelm...

Thanks a lot

Edited by Lucgre, 22 September 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#4 Lucgre

Lucgre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Oups here's a picutre! bycn.jpg 

I Listen to manufacturer specific noises that indicate a defective drive and the HDD don't seems to have a probleme, it's running but don't appear anywhere.

#5 Lucgre

Lucgre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Finely, it maybe looks like if the HDD would have the sound of a Seagate laptop drive with bad heads making clicking/knocking sound. But I'm not sure: it's not a laptop...

Edited by Lucgre, 22 September 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

1-Try to "repair" my Seagate HDD or at lease recover data

The least is recover your data as it seems there is a problem with the mechanical, platter or any number of bad sectors of the drive. I presume the drive is out of warranty (?) period.

.the mouse cursor becomes a blue circle and the clock stops ultimately the mouse won't even move at all...

So I havn't been able to finish some scan and don't know what the virus was...

This seems to indicate that the read on access drive is taking too long as a bad sector(s) is preventing the drive from going any further. If the drive is not recognize on BIOS and using Live disc, then seek professional help from data recovery centers ASAP.

If you feel your system is infected, feel free to post your problem to the Malware and Virus Removal section.

Tekken

#7 Lucgre

Lucgre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Well thanks a lot for your help!

I think that the warranty is still active, I'll check this ASAP!

And for the Laptop: I'll wipe it and start new on Ubuntu 12.04

I think this is the best thing to do (I don't want my laptop drive to finish like the other one.

Thanks a lot!

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I tried to run Ad-aware, Malaware bytes, AVG, Avast, ... but could not find anything (sometimes the scan freezed or just did not find anything)

I hope you didn't have all these installed at the same time- especially AVG and Avast (Avast is a major resource hog). More than one antivirus on your system is detrimental. Adaware and MBAM is fine, however.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Couple things to try....Checking cables themselves and try reseting the bios. Also try checking the bios battery. Does the drive need a driver?? I ran across this problem with a customers laptop. The bios battery died or got low enough it losts it's information. It would not detect the drive till a driver was installed from cd. So it's possible these things such as I mentioned can mimick drive failure. One of the tools I use is a HD to USB cable to see if the drive actually reads/writes etc And use this to backup/transfer data. Yeah it's a little cheapy, but for $9+SH it's one of those must have tech tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1379977800&sr=8-16&keywords=HD+to+usb+cable

Edited by technonymous, 23 September 2013 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users