Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random short freezes

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Halare

Halare

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi Bleeping Computer,

I hope you can help me with an issue with my ASUS K52N laptop. Ever since I deleted the faulty drivers for my Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter and replaced them with akamai drivers from the ASUS website my laptop has been acting weird.

Whenever I play video's, in youtube, in external players and in other webplayers my laptop freezes randomly for half a second making a short buzz sound in the process. I can't move the mouse or type anything when it happens. The interval between freezes is purely random, sometimes it's 15 minutes, and sometimes its 30 seconds. The CPU is 100% constantly in external players and in webbrowsers it stays around 60-70%. This laptop is around 2.5 years old and hasn't done anything like this in the past.

From experience I thought this could've been caused by malware/spyware or virusses. So I ran Malwarebytes and it found two pup.optional.somoto malware infections. Once those had been quarantined I used the AdwCleaner from this website and it cleaned the rest of it. With CCleaner I cleaned my history, cache and cookies. Defraggler to defrag the C: drive, and I ran Avast to scan for any virusses, with latest database it said the laptop was clean. On top of that did ran the Junkware removal tool as well but came up clean. So pretty confident that would do the trick I ran a video test and after 25 minutes the first buzz occured. It hadn't helped at all.

I did an system integrity scan in cmd, sfc /scannow but that showed no errors.

So pretty desperate now, and I hope you guys can help me. It's more of a nuisance right now but I'm afraid one of these freezes might just damage more and blow the whole laptop to bits.

I added the dxdiag file in the attachments, I really hope you guys can help me out with this.

Regards,

Halare

Attached Files

Edited by Halare, 21 September 2013 - 07:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Ever since I deleted the faulty drivers for my Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter and replaced them with akamai drivers from the ASUS website

Hi there Halare

Im still pretty new hear and learning the ropes, but im a great fan of Occam's razor, which states the simplest explanation is usually correct.

Have you tried uninstalling the 'new' driver and replacing it with a different one, just to see if it has any affect whatsoever, positive or negative?

does windows update have a driver available as is often the case with network drivers =)

is this driver of any use to you also? please note I have not checked that site for safety, as I have mentioned im new and still learning whats correct and allowed e.t.c

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=5

Edited by Mr Young, 21 September 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#3 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Ever since I deleted the faulty drivers for my Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter and replaced them with akamai drivers from the ASUS website

Hi there Halare

Im still pretty new hear and learning the ropes, but im a great fan of Occam's razor, which states the simplest explanation is usually correct.

Have you tried uninstalling the 'new' driver and replacing it with a different one, just to see if it has any affect whatsoever, positive or negative?

does windows update have a driver available as is often the case with network drivers =)

is this driver of any use to you also? please note I have not checked that site for safety, as I have mentioned im new and still learning whats correct and allowed e.t.c

Hi Mr. Young, thanks for replying,

The previous driver was provided by an automatic update from windows, but the driver was faulty and kept disconnecting. So I downloaded a replacement from here : http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=30

I deleted the standard drivers, ran the akamai service, restarted the laptop and after a quick automatic installment the wireless adapter was fully functioning again.

#4 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

fantastic. happy you got it sorted =D

stuttery internet is no fun at all!

#5 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

fantastic. happy you got it sorted =D

stuttery internet is no fun at all!

Sorry about the confusion, the problem with my wireless adapter was fixed yesterday but the laptop still freezes from time to time. And it's now a lot slower in Firefox, browser crashes a lot.

Edited by Halare, 21 September 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#6 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

ok, so with the old drivers the videos played but you had disconnection issues, but with the new driver your connection is stable but you get lock ups?

can you play video locally on VLC just fine, does the issue only manifest when using the network in some way?

#7 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

ok, so with the old drivers the videos played but you had disconnection issues, but with the new driver your connection is stable but you get lock ups?

can you play video locally on VLC just fine, does the issue only manifest when using the network in some way?

It freezes for half a second in Acestream, on Youtube and Flash players. I don't exactly know if it is a video related issue I'll have to do some more checks for that. But the hangs didn't occur right after the first boot with the new drivers, I think it happened right after I booted it for a second time.

As we speak I am testing audio in Windows media player, to see if I get the same half a second buzz sound

Edited by Halare, 21 September 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#8 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

just covering the basics, checking the fuse as it were.

have you checked an older driver version from the asus site and the appropriate 32/64bit

(I saw lots of related drivers and for me it defaulted to the 64bit downloads)

turned off energy saving for the network adaptors?

no other localised change such as a new metal item near the router or has your channel changed to a less suitable one since the driver upgrade.

#9 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

strangely, going into support from a different angle seems to offer different drivers. is this still your laptop because its an intel driver there

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K52N/#support_Download_29

#10 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

just covering the basics, checking the fuse as it were.

have you checked an older driver version from the asus site and the appropriate 32/64bit

(I saw lots of related drivers and for me it defaulted to the 64bit downloads)

turned off energy saving for the network adaptors?

no other localised change such as a new metal item near the router or has your channel changed to a less suitable one since the driver upgrade.

Cant see as Asus doesnt provide the drivers seperately, just the akamai general updater. And Qualcomm Atheros is horrible when it comes to finding legit drivers.
Battery settings are on entertaining mode, no other devices near but a mobile phone, but that never interfered in the past. No changes near the router either. Everything is just as it was before I changed the drivers, I've got a very stable internet connection now and for the first time today I haven't had a hang for 30 minutes now. Audio now on WMP for 19 minutes no buzz sounds heard so far. Looks like this is a video isolated issue.

Physical memeroy 51%, whilst playing a video its 59%, CPU usage now between 40% and 70%

#11 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

strangely, going into support from a different angle seems to offer different drivers. is this still your laptop because its an intel driver there

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K52N/#support_Download_29

Yes that's my laptop but I didn't install the wireless drivers from there as my wireless adapter is from Atheros now Azurewave , I specifically downloaded the Atheros AR9285 drivers from the Asus website.

#12 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

For 45 minutes there were no freezes or buzzing sounds when playing audio in WMP. Seems like a graphic/CPU problem.

#13 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

For 45 minutes there were no freezes or buzzing sounds when playing audio in WMP. Seems like a graphic/CPU problem. Which is odd because not two days ago, I watched a movie in full HD 1080P and even though CPU was 100%, it wasn't a problem for the laptop.

#14 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

that's interesting. keep us informed of your progress. it may have ironed itself out or could be a hint of another problem.

everything ok in the heat management department? laptops can clog and overheat very easily, especially for a smoker =(

this can quickly and directly cause symptoms with video too.

also, even tho im only new myself, im sure more experienced helpers are watching and will chime in when they see a potential solution =)

#15 Halare

Halare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

that's interesting. keep us informed of your progress. it may have ironed itself out or could be a hint of another problem.

everything ok in the heat management department? laptops can clog and overheat very easily, especially for a smoker =(

this can quickly and directly cause symptoms with video too.

also, even tho im only new myself, im sure more experienced helpers are watching and will chime in when they see a potential solution =)

I don't smoke and I put my laptop always in such a position that most ventilation points on the bottom are taking in air the temperature fluctuates between 41 and 55 degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users