Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboots At Windows Logo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

I am trying to help a friend. She has a Sony desktop with Windows XP home edition. She had a lot of viruses and spyware that was removed recently. She had never run any windows updates, so she went to the site and installed all of the critical updates. After the computer restarted, she was not able to get her
Start task bar to come up, it was missing. All of the desktop icons did show up. So, she began removing some of the hotfixes from the Add/Remove menu. After removing a few, she was asked to reboot.
As the computer rebooted it would get to the Sony logo and restart, it just runs in this loop and goes no further. It will not go into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Dos Prompt.
She has no windows cd, so she went online and produced the 6 floppy disk for windows xp, ran those and tried a Fixboot. Still had the same results.
I would appreciate any help you can give as to how to get it out of this loop and to boot.
Thank you very much !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

I've had similar troubles to where I would get to the Windows logo and then it would restart. However, if it won't show the Windows Logo, I would try logging into the CMOS and checking the boat order and making sure no new hardware was added.

To load into the CMOS, tap either the delete, F10, F2, or any F# keys.

^Inside the CMOS when checking the boot order, make sure the "removeable" media and CD/DVD Drive is alwasy before the hard drive. This ensures that your computer will ask your CD/DVD drive or floppy drive for loading commands first.

Also check the cable to the hard drive. Just make sure that are fully connected, sometimes if a computer is moved (even just a few feet) a wire can get loose.

If all else fails just ask around for a Windows XP CD and use it to format the computer (but make sure you use the Windows XP Key found on the side of her computer.)

If all else fails contact the manufacturer (if the computer is less than a year old or if you are still covered under a warranty) and ask for restore or initial configuration discs for the computer.

Edited by yano, 26 April 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

BTW, you friend's computer's symptoms are classic for what happens when Windows Updates are tried but the computer is still infected.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

To start with, if you have experienced any problem in connection with a Microsoft Critical update:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Now for a quicker "fix":

When you start the computer, before the Windows screen comes on start tapping F8 (it could be a different key - look at the bottom of the screen for instructions).

That will take you to the screen that offers you the "safe mode" choices.

Try "last known good configuration".

Let us know.

By the way, there is no dos in Win XP, but if we can get to where there is a command prompt possibly you can use System Restore to undo the changes she made. pascor22234 is correct about the computer still being infected, but we need to get it booted into Windows before that can be addressed.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 April 2006 - 07:13 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

In My humble opinion I think since it was said the computer has just recovered from multiple infections that HijackThis might be called for. It will take a little while to get an answer but it will be worth it and you can not beat the cost = FREE. WHat a deal.

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure
And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

In My humble opinion I think since it was said the computer has just recovered from multiple infections that HijackThis might be called for. It will take a little while to get an answer but it will be worth it and you can not beat the cost = FREE. WHat a deal.

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure
And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

I agree that a HJT log posted would be invaluable but the computer is in a continuous reboot cycle - before going into Windows, so we need to get it to boot into Windows first, before HJT can be downloaded and installed and a log run and posted.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

Well, you are right and I apologize for not seeing that part of it. I have a possible solution from Fred Langa and it is: Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=185301251

I would print the article out and read it first to see if it can be accomplished and possibly fix this computer. If you think not then I would suggest removing the hard drive and putting it in another computer as a slave drive and manually backing up as much of your information (Data) as you possibly can. Then put it back in the original computer and re-install Windows and all of your apps.

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

Some Sonys have restore partitions on a hidden file on the hard drive.

When you first begin booting the computer look at the bottom of the screen for instructions on how to enter it.

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Thank you all for your help. You have given us many options to try. I am hoping to talk to her tonight, she is long distance, so I can't actually see what is happening. I will let you know what we find. We did try the last know good config. and had no luck. But, we will try all the other and see what we can do.
Thank you again !!!! :thumbsup:

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

Thank you for all of your help. I had sent my friend a cd to try to boot from, but she does not have much computer knowledge and was afraid to try to fix the problem. She took it into a repair shop. They told her they had several computers with the same problem, that Norton was causing the problems with the hotfixes.
I am not sure that is the problem, but they are repairing it for her now.
Thanks again, for everything ! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users