Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Gaming Crashes - Shuts PC Off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Skeksis

Skeksis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I've already posted this in the WINDOWS 7 subforum, but I figured you fellow gamers may be of some help as well.

Mods; if I am in breech of any forum rules (ie. double posting) i apologize and will delete my content upon request.

heres the post:

--------------------------

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Gentlemen

A tech savvy buddy of mine built me this computer about a year ago or so, and every so often I get this REALLY annoying problem.

I'll be playing a game (both high end, and low end (both offline and online) ), and in the span of 30 - 45 mins, my computer will lock up completely. I am using a flatscreen television as my monitor through an HDMI cable. When the PC crashes, my TV will go blue, and give me a 'Lost or Weak Signal' message. My speakers then emit a constant buzzing sound akin to a small chainsaw, and I will be forced to manually reboot the system.

There are some games, that this has never happened on; Most recently, Payday 2 crashed like this on a menu screen after 3 hours of gaming (not the biggest fan of the fact that game sports no Autosave :S )

This is my first PC Help forum, so I'm not exactly sure what Info you gentlemen need, but am fully willing to share all information.

I can tell you I'm using:

WIndows 7 64

AMD Radeon 7800 HD

AMD FX 8150 Eight Core Proccessor

16 GB of Ram

I'm POSITIVE you'll need more information, but right now, I'm not too sure how to GET at it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------

Posted Today, 10:32 PM

Big ol' update

so, during the past 3-4 weeks I've been systematically going through the major compnants of my rig to try and isolate the problem. I also discovered that my video card was part of a re-call about a year back, and was able to get it swapped for no cost...

Reformated/ Fresh Install - same problem

Updated all my drivers - same problem
Tried a different power supply - same problem
Got my video card RMA'd from the distributor - same problem

could the motherboard itself be the culprit? or a faulty HDMI cable? i'm getting to my wits end.

The weird part is, it's not ALL graphically intense games that will trigger the shutdown. I got through an entire playthrough of the new Bioshock on max settings with ZERO issues.

the following is a small rundown of whats been happening on some particular Games.

Bioshock Infinite - Just fine / max settings
Max Payne 3 - Just fine / max settings

Arkham City - Just Fine / max settings
CS:GO - Shutdown after 10 mins
PAYDAY 2 - Shutdown after 20-40 mins
BF3 - Wont shutdown, but once a minute, my framerate will decrease to that of a slideshow for about 5 seconds
ARMA3 - Same as Battlefield

Here's an interesting timbit though - My audio device also feeds through my videocard via HDMI - with the previouse card, when I'd watch/play anything FLASH based (Binding of Issac, Netflix, Youtube) I'd lose audio for less then a second once every (average) 2-3 mins, like a small audio hiccup. This new card seems to have fixed that, but not the shut down issue.

-----------

So next I'm going to MEMTEST86 all the Ram, one by one, in each slot - it should be noted that when I tested ALL the ram at once, on about the 3rd pass, I got some weird lock-up error with a bunch of space invaders on the screen

Edited by Skeksis, 20 September 2013 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Reseat your RAM and run the Memtest again on all the RAM.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users