Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting original user account

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eliuri

eliuri

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hello:

Both User Accounts on my PC are administrative accounts. The one I now use is the more recently created account. I no longer use the original account.

I'd like to delete that original account as the contensts on it are no longer needed, and it does take up hard disc space.

The way it works now: When I restart the PC, I'm shown two user account boxes, with their respective icons, and I'm given choice which account to log on to. I do not have to enter a password  at all. I don't recall having set one, or perhaps I set one thats merely blank. I dont recall which of these two it was. All i know is that I dont need to enter a password for either account now when I restart the PC.. Nor do I need to enter: Alt+Ctrl+Delete to log on.

I want to be sure that all will continue to work as that newer account does now and that I won't require to enter a pasword. I would like for a PC Restart to go directly into the only User Account which will remain

Is there some User Account file which I can got to so as  to be sure this will work as I intend to above and without entering Alt+Ctrl+Delete  and/or password?

Thanks in advance:

Eliuri

==================

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Can you distinguish between the two accounts when they are opened?

If you can go to Control Panel and open Administrative Tools. Double-click the Local Security Policy.

When the Local Security Settings appears, open the Local Policies\Security Options branch and double-click the Accounts: Rename Administrator Account policy.

When the Accounts: Rename Administrator Account Properties dialog box appears, type a new name in the text box, and click OK.

You will want to rename the account you want to delete, this will allow you to be sure this is the account you want to delete.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

is not going into users in control panel and just deleting the account not sufficient?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

is not going into users in control panel and just deleting the account not sufficient?

He wants to be sure that the proper account is deleted.  This will be done in the control panel under User Accounts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 eliuri

eliuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

He wants to be sure that the proper account is deleted.  This will be done in the control panel under User Accounts.

I do know precisely which account I want to delete. But I  first want to make sure that:

1) No password will be required after that deletion. Nor Alt+Ctrl+Del for a restart. I'm aiming for as smooth a PC restart as is possible, so that the PC reboots directly into the account I'm  now using.

I don't recall setting a password for either account, but that was years ago.

2) I do not lose any Administartive privileges once that original account is deleted.

I am at Local Security Settings now, as dc3 suggested. Under Password Policy, I see:

Enforce Password History: 0 passwords remembered

Maximum Password Age: 42 days

Minimum Password age: 0 days

Minimum Password length: 0 characters

Password must meet complexity requirements: Disabled

Store passwords using reversible encryption for all users in the domain: Disabled

What do the above entries tell me about passwords for the PC? Is there any onther place I should look to be sure?

I also see a panel: User Rights Assignment. When "Power User" is mentioned , does that include all users with administrator status?

I do see the User Name of the account I wish to delete-withour name of account now use, only once in all those entries, but that does list Administrators, Power Users as well.

-eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition

SP3

Edited by eliuri, 21 September 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

You are complicating something that is very simple.

If the account you wish to keep does not require a password now, it won't if you delete the other account. If you set up a password for the account you want to delete it will be go away when the account is deleted.  Since you said you didn't create passwords for either account this is not an issue for you. Take passwords out of the equation.

You will not lose administrative privileges for the account you keep.

On every computer I've had there have been multiple admin accounts. When one was deleted the other admin account was not impacted in any way.

This past week I had to create a new desktop for myself. I made it an admin account, then deleted my other user account which was also an admin account. Doing so created no issues.

All you need to do is log off the account to be deleted, use another admin account, go to Control Panel/User Accounts & make the other one go bye-bye.

If you are logged into the account you want to delete and go to User Accounts there is no option to delete. Deletion can only be done by logging on as another  admin user account.

If you are logged into the account and switch users to the account you are now using and click Delete the account you will get this message

The account you wish to delete is logged on. Before you delete it, you should switch to that user account
and log off that account. If you continue without doing this, there is a risk of data loss. Do you still wish to continue?

At that point you can either say Continue or Cancel, then log off the account and try again.

A restart is not necessary. I've never had to restart after deleting an account.

As long as the account you are now using is the ONLY user account you will boot directly to that desktop.

dc3, the account names will be different. Windows will not allow you to create a NEW account using the same name as an existing account. If you try you will be told "The specified account name is not valid, because there is already an account with that name. Please type a different name."

There will be no need to change the name using the method you describe. Then again, I could be misunderstanding what you are talking about.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 September 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#7 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

Its all good, we all mean the same thing.

log onto the account you like and from it, delete the other account. there should be no issues whatsoever. =) 

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I forgot to mention 2 things. Be patient when deleting the account. You won't get a progress bar and you might think nothing is happening. When the account is fully deleted the screen reverts back to the main user account screen. How long it takes to delete the account depends on how many files and folders the account has.

When you delete a user account you will be given a choice to delete the user's files or keep them. Make very sure there is nothing you want to save from the account before you delete it. I know you said contents of the user are longer needed but double check just to make sure.

If you choose to keep the files a folder will be created on your NEW desktop. The old account name will still show up under Users and can be safely deleted.

If you don't save the files the name will not show up under Users.

The bottom line is don't over-complicate the process. To often we do that for something very simple and all that is accomplished is a delay in doing what we want to do and a headache from dealing with it.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

dc3, the account names will be different. Windows will not allow you to create a NEW account using the same name as an existing account. If you try you will be told "The specified account name is not valid, because there is already an account with that name. Please type a different name."

There will be no need to change the name using the method you describe. Then again, I could be misunderstanding what you are talking about.

I wasn't aware that the op knew for certain which account was the one they wished to delete.  My suggestion to rename the account was simply so they would be sure this was the account.  I am aware that you can't use the same name again. :thumbup2:

Edited by dc3, 22 September 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the explanation, dc.

#11 eliuri

eliuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thanks much. That deletion went as smoothly as Queen Evie said it would. I had already saved wahtever I may possibly want from that deleted acount into the shared documents. So I do have them.

thanks gain:

-eliuri

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm glad you found it the process to be smooth sailing. Thank you for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users