Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon iP4600 Error C000 or C009

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have a Canon Pixma iP4600 which is now about 3, nudging 4 years old and in the last three months or so it has started coming up with an error message that has me beat, and it is coming up with it more frequently.

What happens is that sometimes in the middle of a print run, sometimes at the start, an error message appears on the screen. It is the usual picture of a printer, except that this one has an unusual reddish tint to the image background and the message :

"Printer error C000 (or C009). Cancel printing and switch off printer. Re-connect. If problem continues refer to manual for information."

Doing this usually clears the problem, but sometimes only after it repeats two or three times. I have examined the manual and can find no reference to this error code !  The frequency of this failure seems to be increasing.

Has anybody run across this error code and have an explanation for it ?  It is beginning to annoy me, and is driving my wife - who has a much lower tolerance for mechanical quirks - nuts. I am loth to bin it - apart from anything else it does an excellent print job  and it prints direct to CD / DVDs. and I ship a lot of data around on discs, and it prints one hell of a sight neater than my handwriting !

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi Chris -

Solution 1 -
C000 is a purge unit error
This error code tells that the purge unit did not complete a good power on cycle and the cam is not in the correct position.In typical words that means the purge unit is stuck extended due to accumulation of a lot of dried up ink.
To solve it follow this
Open the cover and when the head comes to the center, pull the power cord.
Once that power is off you can now move the carriage to the far left so it is out of the way.
Now use a paper towel and gently blot all the excess ink off of the ink Pads and press them down. If the Wiper blade is extended, clean it and it should snap back in position.
If it is still stuck, try spraying the area with Windex but don't get any on anything except the pads.

Solution 2 -
This can be a case of the ink tanks not being pressed in hard enough. They do click in, as the manual instructs but, unless they are fully pressed in top and bottom, this problem occurs. It's a shame that the Canon manuals and even the support centre do not mention this simple solution.

Many versions of solutions as this is the most common error for Cannon printers -

Regards -

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,444 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for that Noknojon.

I tried your suggestion of switching off and moving the tanks out of the way. I found the 'floor' of the print area has a foam covering which was damp with ink to the right hand end, and beyond this two spring loaded pads which were wet, see image below. Tissue mopped up a lot of this, at the expense of a black finger tip. I didn't see anything that looked like a 'wiper' so I will assume that it isn't stuck. You will see in the image that the two spring loaded pads are arrowed, am I right in assuming these are the pads you were talking about ?

e4mt.th.jpg

I think international trading, trade marks and copyright have got in the way again. What is Windex ?  From the context of your post it could be either a light lubricating or penetrating oil, or some form of glass cleaner !

I have had tanks appear to click in but not go fully home, but normally it just fails to show up as a full tank and you still get the 'out of ink' warning.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I think international trading, trade marks and copyright have got in the way again. What is Windex ?  From the context of your post it could be either a light lubricating or penetrating oil, or some form of glass cleaner !

Windex is a glass cleaner. The "traditional" version is ammonia based, but I believe there might be newer "greener", non-ammonia based options that even carry the Windex name (I could be wrong).

http://www.windex.com/en-US/Products/Pages/original-glass-cleaner.aspx

FWIW, for cleaning up dried ink, I have used isopropyl alcohol (aka "rubbing alcohol") in the past.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,444 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification on Windex !  It's surprising how often somebody says 'Use such and such - you can get it anywhere' only to discover he / she lives on the other side of the world and it may well be available in your own neck of the woods. Except it has a different brand name and different packaging !

Anyway, after attempting to clean up in the area Noknojon suggested it became rapidly obvious that I hadn't done it right - the problem rapidly became much more insistent. So I bit the bullet and dumped the printer, replacing it with an Epson. At least I won't get Canon error messages in future. And tomorrow I am off to rural northern France for two weeks. It's so rural there - 25 Km from Lille, 7 Km from Armentieres - there is no internet access. Two weeks peace and quiet !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

It is easy to forget that when "talking with" someone on a forum that it is possible that person may not be in your country. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users