Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you guys think about COMODO antivirus

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 futuristicx

futuristicx

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

do you guys think comodo antivirus is worth it :) i dont know if they can read what im type since i just installed thier programs :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I use Avira Free......I have never had much faith / luck with any of the Comodo products.

That is not to say the product is no good...just that for my particular use it seems to be unnecessarily complicated......whereas Avira sits in the background and i can honestly say it just does its job quietly and efficiently to the point where I actually forget it is there !

Regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

COMODO antivirus is cloud-based and has a good detection rate but it is poor at removing detected threats. COMODO also uses annoying popup queries from its Defense+ feature.

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program. If you don't want to pay then I recommend avast! Free Antivirus.

You may want to read: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think comodo has a very good program and is awesome at blocking malware, however the one thing that really annoyed me was the auto sandbox stopping my programs from working. I switched to mse and paid for malwarebytes pro and its now happy days for me.  :)

Edited by hbyton, 20 September 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

avast also has an AutoSandbox which automatically places programs into a virtualized state when it suspects them of being threats and creates a folder (avast! sandbox) on the %SystemDrive%. This helps to stop suspicious programs and prevent them from potentially damaging your system while allowing them to run. AutoSandbox permits programs (processes) to run, while keeping track of which files are opened, created, renamed, and what is read or written from the Registry. Since these types of changes are virtualized, when the process terminates itself, the system changes it made will disappear and not have any affect. AutoSandbox why are you annoying me? explains the reasons why avast activates the AutoSandbox by default.

#6 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Thank you  guys:) i can see that AV's are still the best anti virus. I will uninstall comodo hopefully they wont do anything back to me xD i will try avast :)

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

COMODO antivirus is cloud-based and has a good detection rate but it is poor at removing detected threats. COMODO also uses annoying popup queries from its Defense+ feature.

Just for information, Comodo now includes Comodo Cleaning Essentials which is very effective at removing malware already present on a computer before installation.   Also Defense+ is turned off by default as the behaviour blocker and sandbox make it unnecessary for protection.   There are few popups now.

futuristic when you say worth it do you mean worth the money because Comodo gives free protection?

James

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

According to their web site Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) appears to be a separate stand-alone tool which can be used from a usb drive. It includes a KillSwitch to terminate malicious processes and a heuristic malware scanner. As such, CCE should be able to be used with (complement) any anti-virus solution.

#9 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Just for information, Comodo now includes Comodo Cleaning Essentials which is very effective at removing malware already present on a computer before installation.   Also Defense+ is turned off by default as the behaviour blocker and sandbox make it unnecessary for protection.   There are few popups now.

futuristic when you say worth it do you mean worth the money because Comodo gives free protection?

Yes :) they wont help me at anything unless I buy their geekbuddy which has a very bad service :/

#10 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

According to their web site Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) appears to be a separate stand-alone tool which can be used from a usb drive. It includes a KillSwitch to terminate malicious processes and a heuristic malware scanner. As such, CCE should be able to be used with (complement) any anti-virus solution.

Oh :) i remember back then i got a very bad virus then i download cce after it cleans my pc i cant access anything on my pc xD only the desktop icons hehe

#11 SQA4U2

SQA4U2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

COMODO Internet Security is a fine program, if you don't install all defaults... :nono:

:step1: Be sure to De-select GeekBuddy (and IceDragon), then proceed with install.

:step2: Let it reboot after initial scan and the open up the Advanced Settings,

:step3: Remove message Center messages,

:step4: Then, visit http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html  and download their ANTI-MALWARE TEST FILE file (any one of should do). :step5:  :busy: When Comodo finds it, be sure to SELECT the check-box in the lower Left corner that says "Don't ask me again" and choose I'll do this myself.

After that, you are Good To Go...  :busy:  

:thumbsup2: No Ads, and Great Protection!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

The problem with that is most people install programs with the defaults.

#13 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Thanks guys I will try comodo again then :) what does eicar do? it seems that i cant access the comodo advance settings :) dunno where to find it 

Edited by futuristicx, 24 September 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

How To: Test your anti-virus software
Eicar: Anti-Malware Testfile

Comodo Internet Security User Guide <- 3.2.3.3 Advanced Setting page 188

#15 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Unfortunately the Comodo link Quietman found is for an old versionn of CIS.

You access the advanced settings through the GUI by clicking on Tasks in the top right corner then selecting Advanced settings at the bottom right of the screen.

There is an excellent guide to configuring Comodo Firewall and Internet Security written by Chiron who is a Comodo moderator.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

I don't understand the reference to the Eicar test, any av will detect that unless it is completely useless.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users