Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not posting when video card is installed.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Alright, some backstory:

This particular pc first began having issues with a BSOD that I traced to the hard drive. As I traced the issue, I had occassional issues with not getting post beep or display. I would just restart the machine and it would work. Luckily, with the help of the internet, I was able to retrieve the data that was on the hard drive that had in fact gone bad.

Once I had that out of the way, I went to test the previous system with a new hard drive but find that the no posting/display issue is now persistent. When I plug my HDMI into the onboard display I do get post/display. During my troubleshooting, one time I started the pc and there was a high pitched whistle, as I had the case open I checked all the fans, but none of them were the issue. Sounded like the whistle was from the video card. After some research I found that it most likely wasn't receiving the correct power. I ensured that the power cables were secure into the PSU and the video card now, and I don't get the whistle. Unfortunately I don't have another rig that can handle this video card, so I can't cross test that way.

So at this point, I have a few questions. Is there any other way to test this card to make sure it is fried? If it is fried are there places to have it repaired (AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5), would it be worth it (as in last a few years)? Are the hard drive/video card issues somehow related, via PSU or motherboard in any way? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

What kind of power supply do you have, can open the side panel and look on the side for the model number and provide it, and if you cant take a photo of the wattage table?

You may not have a good enough power supply for your video card.

#3 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

It's an ULTRA X4 1600W supply, so I'm fairly sure that's not the issue.  This card has worked in this pc previously for about 1.5 year.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

That high pitched whistle would signify to me that the the power supply was not providing clean power to the system.  This can cause issues, and if it is not providing adequate power to the video card, and the power is unclean it can cause issues like this.  

Not every power supply is manufactured with high quality components.  Some companies use cheaper components to sell more to gain more profit.

#5 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

So would this mean the card is no good or do you think with a new psu it might be okay?  Wish my psu in this machine could power it but I'm sure it won't.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

What power supply do you have that you can try?

Edited by cryptodan, 20 September 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

High pitched whine can come from the electronic components on the motherboard or GPU, PSU. Typically a capacitor doing it. Inspect the GPU card for caps leaking swelled etc. Look on the motherboard as well near the CPU. On the top of the capacitor is an X so when the cap swells this X etched on top will release the pressure by expanding and leaving a hump on top. Normally a capacitor is flat on top. Also under the cap look for visible signs of a yellowish to brownish dried up fluid etc near the base of the cap as sometimes they leak. Take precaution here...If you inspect the PSU do so with only shining a flashlight through the grills! To someone not qualified It is extremely dangerous to open the PSU as the high voltage caps in there would happily kill you if you were to touch them. Typically replacement of the item is your only option. The cost of recapping electronics will probably cost you more than just buying a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users