Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ed Bott says let XP die with dignity.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Summary: Early next year, when Microsoft finally, officially, and unreservedly drops support for Windows XP, it won't mark the beginning of a new XPocalypse. XP is a relic of a bygone era. It's time to let it go.

Some interesting factoids in the article:

Too good of an article to chop up and lose context with.

Full article By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | September 20, 2013 -- 03:00 GMT (20:00 PDT) Click Here, Please

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

NO! NEEEEVVEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!!

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Thank you, Animal. That post sent me on a three hour tour. I read the article you posted, plus all the comments (nothing like the vox populi to get to the heart of the matter), several other articles that were linked therein and the comments for those, as well. Very interesting.

Now I really shouldn't add my two cents, since I have never owned a computer that ran XP, but I can't help it. Micro$oft has been very generous, considering all the resources they spent over the long years maintaining XP.  Imagine if they spent that effort into Windows 8. It might have turned out better.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

I read the story, Time to move on folks.

I gave up on XP when I went to a i7 CPU powered computer.

Windows 7 is so much better.

Windows 8 is better still, now that I have used it a while and have installed "Classic Shell" to make it resemble windows 7. I like the tweaks over Windows 7.

A slight learning curve moving off of Windows XP. If My brother could survive the change anyone can.

Go for it Get a new Windows 8 computer and see what a modern computer is.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Well, waddya know ?

My guess is that XP will be around a lot longer than Ed Bott,  who sounds more closely associated with a relic from a Funny Farm than does XP of a bygone age.

The poor guy is suffering from Delusional Disorder and must have missed taking his pills, but credit to him - he is a  dog lover.

​OK Ed my Divine authority on all that is Internet,  take this with your pink Champagne plonk  - MY confident prediction is that I will still be using XP over 2 years from the MS execution date with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Have a nice day Ed,  just ensure that your MS payback cheque adds up to what you agreed for reciting their script like some pet parrot. Perhaps Ed, you can devote your unquestionable epitome of knowledge to helping MS get their Windows 7 & 8 working to the same impeccable standard that XP has achieved. If that day ever comes,  I just may consider updating my Windows XP.

On the web I have never seen a single adverse comment about XP, but I have seen plenty of really nasty comments about Windows 7 & 8..

Edited by yabbadoo, 22 September 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

XP was a good OS, and a lot of people will keep using it. I'm still using Windows 98, but that computer has no Internet connection.

The big problem is the hardware that was available when XP was new. Computers that came from the factory with XP are too slow for most tasks these days unless they were downgraded from Vista. They can handle really basic stuff, but web browsing is painful on a Pentium 4. Even my Core i3 struggles to load some web pages with a lot of social media interaction and Flash elements.

7 is a pain sometimes because of the stuff that was added in Vista to try to protect people. They took it a little too far and hid certain settings that really don't affect security or performance much (it took me a long time to find the low battery threshold setting). Once everything gets set up, it works fine.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

There is an additional reason that some folks will continue running Windows XP - finances.  There are folks who just don't have the resources available to upgrade the OS much less the hardware.  Unfortunately, too much now relies on computer and internet use with the result that these folks, even though they are aware of the risks, cannot disconnect their computer from the internet.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

There is an additional reason that some folks will continue running Windows XP - finances.  There are folks who just don't have the resources available to upgrade the OS much less the hardware.  Unfortunately, too much now relies on computer and internet use with the result that these folks, even though they are aware of the risks, cannot disconnect their computer from the internet.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Correct. Almost all of the Middle East, Africa and the Far East fall into this  category. They have`nt even got the money to buy food let alone pay a fortune  to update windows. 

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

If you never saw a negative comment about XP you must have very selective reading, there were tons of them.

XP, as it was originally designed, was a security-nightmare. It was completely open to everything. There is a reason that the botnets of the late 1990ies, early 2000s are a thing of the past and that's the increased security and safety that Vista and Win7 introduced.  There's also a reason why an unpatched XP connected directly to the internet will be infected within a few minutes, whereas Win7 would be fine for a long time.

XP was also designed for single-core CPUs. Very few people still have those today. If you want to take full advantage of your CPU, you need to upgrade the OS. The same for those 4-8GB of RAM that come with most machines nowadays.. No way to use those with XP.  The same for USB 3.0. Not supported in XP.

NTFS is not fully supported by XP. You can not install XP on hard drives larger than 128GB unless you slipstream sp3 into the install medium first, you may also have to disable AHCI and return to the outdated IDE for the install to work.

Sure there were updates and upgrades and somehow most of it all works in a limited way also on XP nowadays, but it is a patchwork of upgrades and does not work as well as in the later OS, that were designed from the get go to take advantage of the hardware and the NTFS specifications.

XP is 15 year old technology. It's outdated in pretty much everything, which is normal. I do have a 10year old laptop and I have xp running on it, but I can also run Win7 on it. When I get my new laptop, I will be running Win7/8 on it, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to run Win XP on it.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

@ myrti

Well, I may have selective reading, but it rather appears you have the same problem.

Anyhow, I sincerely wish you well in enjoying your Win 7 or 8 with all their troubles, whilst I continue in perfect tranquillity and super performance with that ancient but irreplaceable piece of sheer artistry called Windows XP.  Each to his own eh ?

Have you never heard that old saying "There is many a good tune played on an old  fiddle" ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 23 September 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

please explain why i have selective reading?

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#12 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

please explain why i have selective reading?

For the same reason you are in favour of making statements adverse to XP as I am for making statements in favour of XP.

I say in all honesty that I have never seen any serious complaints about XP and you say there are  plenty. So we must both read what we wish to read. Fair enough, it is a free world, we are both  entitled to our own bias opinions, except my views are backed by millions of  XP users world-wide and yours are not.

Does it really matter ? XP will still be around and supported by BC in 10 years time,  just like Windows 95 & 98 are now, 18 years later.

Just a point. Windows XP was first introduced in 2001, which makes it 12 years technology NOT 15 years.

Having both having clearly established our personal likes and dislikes, I feel we should leave it at that and let the future reveal the real truth.

ENDGAME on this matter.

Edited by yabbadoo, 23 September 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

There is a distinct difference between pointing out known flaws and shortcomings of XP (never denying that there are good things about XP) and claiming nobody ever complained about XP. I would thank you not to compare my post to yours in that aspect.

Mine is actually factual and gives evidence on what the shortcomings of XP are. They can easily be documented: ntfs, easily infected, 64bit/multicore support, 128GB size limit , usb3, ahci.

Your statement is a highly subjective and controversial claim that can be easily disproven by using google. It also doesn't help your point that you need to insult the author of the article to make your point, rather than use facts.

Feel free to provide proof that I'm in the wrong and nobody actually ever complained about WinXP on the internet. It'll be hard though.

Edited by myrti, 23 September 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#14 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Actually, I still remember day that I upgrade from Windows ME to WinXP. And that computer was abandoned now with almost all parts broken, except harddisk, that still in the plastic zip bag for 1-2 years now. It is 6 years already? No one knows. WinXp is one of the best Microsoft made ever.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#15 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Your statement is a highly subjective and controversial claim that can be easily disproven by using google. It also doesn't help your point that you need to insult the author of the article to make your point, rather than use facts.

Feel free to provide proof that I'm in the wrong and nobody actually ever complained about WinXP on the internet. It'll be hard though.

"Feel free to provide proof that I'm in the wrong and nobody actually ever complained about WinXP on the internet. It'll be hard though.".

I never said that "nobody actually ever complained about WinXP on the internet" If you go back and read my post properly before making incorrect statements, you will see "I say in all honesty that I have never seen any serious complaints about XP" THAT is not what you accuse me of in your distorted version..

And please don`t accuse me of being insulting to make my point. This is your own preferable adverse misconception of reading a perfectly acceptable piece of descriptive matter. I don`t have to insult people to make a point, I simply express my case in perfect English and descriptive detail. I cannot be responsible for ultra-sensitivity to everyday expressive dialogue.

If by "the Author" you refer to Ed Bott, my comments were not insulting, but simply amounted to a purely personal character reference based on his diatribe concerning XP. Admittedly not highly complimentary, but nobody can win them all.

FACTS ? Every single one of us, including you make  continuous statements in daily conversations based on experience, knowledge and personal opinions. It is called simply living and taking part.

Life is not a Court of Law existence where everything you say is taken down in evidence and used against you, or otherwise you must provide irrefutable evidence to prove your innocence.

This is only a Forum, not a legal platform for crucifixion if a person says something which others do not either believe or agree with.

Accept the spirit of the game and just enjoy a semi-informative chat amongst friends  My God, we are on the General Chat Forum, nothing goes BANG if we get it wrong now and again

I am now finished with this thread. Good luck to all.

Yabba

Edited by yabbadoo, 23 September 2013 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users