Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ask website on mozilla

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

I installed Firefox.  Got the Ask program which shows up like a home page.   How do I get rid of that - or can I?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Try add/Remove Programs should work...uninstall any items/taskbars related...which were installed automatically when you elected default install, rathern than custom.  The people who bundle these programs...count on users not bothering to read what they agree to with the auto install of anything.

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yes many toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, screensavers and browser extensions come bundled with other software (often without the knowledge of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware and browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine. Even if advised of a toolbar or Add-on, many folks do not know that it is optional and not necessary to install in order to operate the program. Some toolbars and Add-ons can be removed via Add/Remove Programs or the Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7/8 as Louis notes, so always check there first.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it.

If its not listed, let us know...we have special fix tools which can do the job.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the help.  I did find out that downloading and installing Firefox directly from Mozilla.org, I got it without the ask.com add-on.  Apparently it's in other websites.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Many many third-party hosting sites bundle toolbars and other software in their download packages as a way to increase vendor revenue and recoup business costs through the distribution of third party software. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads.

Bundle and distribute your software with Conduit Community Toolbar
Third-Party Bundling

The safest practice is to use the vendor's official home site but in some cases, they too will redirect you to another hosting site which practices bundling or uses confusing advertisements resulting in downloading software you did not intend to download. In fact even if you download and install legitimate software from a direct source it is still possible for the vender to bundle unwanted software into the package and you may not be aware.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for that information; I certainly was not aware of it and can now be watching more closely in the future.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

You're welcome.