Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update issues, Please assist.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wolfantix

wolfantix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Greetings,

I have been having several issues with updating Windows 7 Ultimate. Here are the problems followed by what I have done to correct. Please advise on what I should do next. I can give logs from various scans if required.

Problems:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2870699)

Download size: 16.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Download size: 69.1 MB

Internet Explorer 10 is fast and fluid, and lets your websites shine and perform just like native apps on your PC.
          Internet Explorer 10.  Fast and fluid for Windows 7.
          • Fast.  Internet Explorer 10 harnesses the untapped power of your PC, delivering pages full of vivid graphics, smoother video, and interactive content.
          • Easy.  Experience the web the way you want to with pinned sites, built-in Spellcheck, and seamless integration with your PC running Windows 7.
          • Safer.  Improved features like SmartScreen Filter and Tracking Protection let you be more aware of threats to your PC and your privacy.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Download size: 36.7 MB

Windows Internet Explorer 9 delivers web sites and applications that look and perform like native PC applications through the power of Windows.

Fast: Internet Explorer 9 is all-around fast.  Designed to take full advantage of your PC’s hardware through Windows, Internet Explorer 9 delivers graphically rich and immersive experiences that are as fast and responsive as native applications installed on your PC.

Clean: Internet Explorer puts the focus on the Web sites you love with a clean look and increased viewing area that makes your Web sites shine.  Intuitive and seamless integration with Windows 7 provides one-click access to Web applications pinned directly to your Taskbar.

Trusted: Internet Explorer is the trusted way to the Web because it has a robust set of built-in security, privacy and reliability technologies that keep you safer and your browsing experience uninterrupted.

Interoperable: Support for HTML5 and modern Web standards architected to take advantage of the GPU means that the same mark-up not only works across the Web, but runs faster and delivers a richer experience through Windows and  Internet Explorer 9.

More information: 

Help and Support: 

Solution Attempts:
Rkiller, Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, and various other anti-malware programs find no issues. 

Downloaded and ran MS diagnostic fix tool and standalone update correction utility which does find corrupted files in the registry which I am unable to fix even with full access permissions turned on. I can provide the check.sur logs if required.

When I run the update correction I consistently get a LZ expansion Utility error.

Error codes associated with these issues:

Code 800B0100

Code 9c59.

Solutions offered on technet do not work. 

suggestions welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702

#3 wolfantix

wolfantix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hi TsVk,

Thanks for the link and willingness to assist, however, I have already attempted that fix to no avail. It seems there is something blocking the services from correcting the .dll files.  I have run the Fix It tool as well as the Windows6.1-KB947821-v28-x64.msu tool and the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab utility. I have found a site that recommends removing the corrupted reg files found by the msu tool which is reported in the surlog, and it does indeed find corrupt files, but I have been unsuccessful at removing them. 

Any other ideas? Like I said, the most competent anti malware software I have ran shows no issues so I am uncertain if there is an infection. Next step is to do a fresh install of W7U and see if the problem reoccurs (as this is a fresh install to begin with).

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Another option is to uninstall all Internet Explorer versions and forget this issue...

Being fairly tech savvy I guess this wouldn't be an issue for you, but it may not be your machine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users