Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move Paging File To Speed Up Access To It....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

I was told that I could move where Windows puts the paging file on my hdd. I believe it was "move it from the inside to the outside" or vice versa. Theory being was that when Windows had to access the paging file, that it would access it much quicker if it was the first thing it found as compaired to being the last thing it found, or even some place in the middle of the hdd. Did that make sense?

Is this possible....can it be done easily? How?

Reason I put this in here was so that if it can be done, then it will make your machine faster which would be a good tip (I think). If it can't be done, then oh well, I tired, and now I (we?) know the truth.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886 Microsoft knows how.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

The microsoft link deals with moving the page file from one disk to another. As I understood the orignial question, he wanted to "move" the page file so it would be physically located in the middle or inside tracks or a disk where the PC would theoretically have faster access to it.

As far as I know there is no way to do this and I really doubt any performance increase would be gained from doing so.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well, now I know it's a farce! Sounded good though!

Thanks everyone!

Edited by stevealmighty, 02 May 2006 - 01:26 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

What about assigning the virtual memory to a USB flash drive, hard wired to the internal USB port on a USB add-on card?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

Errrr....wouldn't that be slower, because windows has to load the USB drivers? Doesn't Windows create the paging file before it loads the usb drives?

And, let's say that we could move the paging file to the outside of the drive to make it faster. How much of a speed increase would be seen, if at all? And is it worth while to go through all the hassle for this if it's not a dramatic increase in speed?

Jeesh, now I'm secnod guessing myself! I don't know if moving the paging file would be a worth while thing to do! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

Flash has no moving parts so I would think it would be like running RAM. I had not thought about windows and the USB drivers.
I have no practical experince with this subject, just thinking out load.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

just thinking out load.

Hey, it worked though.....you got me thinking and look what happened; I talked myself right out of even wanting to ever try to move the paging file!

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 brad.heller

brad.heller

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

just thinking out load.

Hey, it worked though.....you got me thinking and look what happened; I talked myself right out of even wanting to ever try to move the paging file!

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Yeah it wouldn't do anything for you. Either way, the disk head has to move to get to the page file -- be it in or outside of the disk. Also, the flash memory issue wouldn't be AS fast as RAM, but it would be faster than IDE drives. The bottleneck is the bus that goes to the USB port.

#10 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

Do you actually believe that those experienced programmers at Microshaft really don't know what they are doing? :thumbsup: OH, YE OF LITTLE FAITH!

Actually they DO. That's why they put the page file in the root directory of your OS drive. Usually C:\.
Hard drive logic says that's the best place for it....for Windows to get at it quickly.
There are several other files in the root directory also, for the same reason.
If you ever looked, the ol' Swapfile for windows 98 was in the root directory too. :flowers:

By trying to second guess them and moving it elsewhere, you're doing nothing but shooting yourself in the foot.
So to speak. :trumpet:

Some things in life are just better left alone.
Windows is one of them. Run it, enjoy it if you can and then leave it alone.

It just freaks me out, how many people can't even spell "Computer" and yet they think they can just re-write windows to suite their own (twisted) desires.

In most cases, they are back in here or some other forum, on someone elses computer, saying something like "my computer won't boot up any more.....what can I do?" It would be laughable, if it were not so saddening.

WELL, I hope I've not stepped on too many toes. Sorry if I did. (you know who you are)

Happy Mother's Day everyone,
The Shadow :inlove:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

Dang :thumbsup: :inlove: Did I spell computer wrong somewhere in this thread?

This whole topic was something I had heard about a year ago, and I just thought that I'd post to see if it could be done, and if it was actually worth while to do so (if it could be done). I'm not one to mess with windows (well, aside from simple things like the startup menu and other things within windows). Now, as far as changing scripts or even messing with the registry.....nope, that's beyond my understanding :flowers: , well, for now anyways :cool:

No toes stepped on here :trumpet:
Posted Image

#12 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:44 AM

Steve,
I'm glad....I do get wound up sometimes.

In my computer business, I get at least one call per week from someone who has screwed up their OS so bad that only a RE-Install will fix it. I really hate it when that happens.

When I first got XP, I had to reload it six times before i found out how to use Registry Restore to fix little "OOOps".
I had a couple of dozen backups of my OS to fall back on if need be.
WELL, I finally got through that learning curve without killing myself or wounding anyone else in the process.
And, I never lost any data.

When you've got good backups of your C: partition you can take liberties that you probably wouldn't want to try otherwise (flying without a net).

Anyone who's going to 'try' new things with their PC, should probably get a very good backup system in place before they start Poking, Tweaking or adjusting windows.
I also run a vbScript on bootup to FORCE a Restore Point. This little trick assures that I have at least one restore point created every day that I use my PC.

I have many generations of Ghost backups on a second hard drive and burned to DVD's, so if my HD just squalls, balls and smokes,,,, no big deal. In fact that happened last summer with three different WD SATA hard drives. (except for the smoke) I never lost anything more important than the morning's eMail.
I won't use WD (Western Digital) hard drives any more either.

Take Care now, Y'hear?

The Shadow :thumbsup:

Edited by The Shadow, 20 May 2006 - 10:52 AM.

#13 IHawkMike

IHawkMike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

Technically speaking, moving your paging file to the outer cylinders of the disk can speed up access, but not necessarily by much.

Read all about it here:
http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...mization_01.htm

#14 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

I always figured that whipping the pants off of old "Sol" was more worthwhile than trying to second guess the Microsoft programmers. That premise has served me well, oh these many years and Sol has the scars to prove it. :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong....I do tweak the registry and I do shut down all those totally redundant Services that absolutely NO home computer operator needs to have running.

To simplify things I've just reduced the hours of tweaking to a couple of VBScripts that take mere seconds to run. I can now run two scripts, do some cleanup work with my XPCleanup.bat program and improve the performance of most PC's by = or > (equal to or better than) 100%.

It's now about as far from rocket science as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch. :flowers:

Cheers maties,
The Shadow :trumpet:

#15 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hi Shadow.

[To simplify things I've just reduced the hours of tweaking to a couple of VBScripts that take mere seconds to run. I can now run two scripts, do some cleanup work with my XPCleanup.bat program and improve the performance of most PC's by = or > (equal to or better than) 100%.]

If it won't affect your pocket, would you care to share this with us?

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users