Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer etc...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 collaredfairy0304

collaredfairy0304

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

So about a week ago my computer was running very slow.  Also when I would turn it on it would take what seemed like forever to boot.  Even when it gets to the desktop it seems like an endless process of getting everything loaded.  I had hitman pro loaded on a usb and inserted that and restarted the computer.  It ran the scan and come up with some malware and riskware.  The scan took a very long time to complete.  Part of the rason is because when trying to click on something it will take forever for the computer to respond.  Even to hover over something it will take about a minute for it to show highlighted.  I believe the stuff was removed.  However my computer is not acting like it.  It still takes a very long time to start up and load everything.  It is nearly impossible to do anything because of the lag.  And now when I click on either IE or Firefox the little hourglass will move for a second or two and then disappear and never open the internet.  I have window 7.  Can someone please lead me to the right direction? Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Your problem can sometimes be a symptom if a failing hard drive, their is nothing more frustrating than spending hours of virus scanning and troubleshooting just to find out that the hard drive is bad, so i think that this is something you should try to rule out before doing anything else.

Please download this program called crystal disk info, it will tell you the status of your hard drive please post the results once you have ran the program

http://download.cnet.com/CrystalDiskInfo/3000-2086_4-10832082.html

When downloading please select direct download instead of using Cnet's installer

:)

#3 collaredfairy0304

collaredfairy0304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Well I am doing the best that I can.  Like I stated I cannot open the browsers.  I tried putting the download on a usb and then inserting it in my computer.  I have tried to "run it" a few times and nothing is happening (at least I think). I will send another message after a while and see if anything happens. Thanks again :)

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

Collaredfairy0304, Try to run RKILL first......you may be able to use a usb stick.....just DO NOT reboot after........if successful, then run MBAM .....if it finds malware etc then definitely Reboot then.
Reply and let me know how you get on.
There are other approaches we can take.

Download MiniToolBox Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result back here in your reply..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Download Security Check from  AdwCleaner and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
    Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to your Desktop.

Unzip downloaded file.
    Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
    Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
    DO NOT click on the Cleanup button. Simply exit the program.
    When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder..... mbar-log-xxxxx.txt and system-log.txt

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) from  RKill to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
    A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    Do not reboot until instructed.
    If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please advise me of this..

If normal mode still doesn't work, you can run the tool in safe mode.

When the scan is done Notepad will open with rKill log.
Post it in your next reply.

NOTE. rKill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.

Edited to provide further advice::

Edited by Condobloke, 21 September 2013 - 05:12 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users