Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant update to sp2 - catch22

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gellswor

gellswor

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

My elderly aunt has an old desktop running MS XP SP1 and Windows Explorer v6.0 and I am trying to update it for her.  I can't download update for Explorer because it's running XP SP1 and cant update Explorer because the Op Sys is at XP1. 

I have a legit Windows DVD for XP SP2 from my old desktop long since been retired, but don't have the key. 

if my aunt has the key to her older version of XP, can I use that with the SP2 version that I have?  or does anybody else have a better idea of how I can get her PC updated?

ps. I did try to download Chrome and Firefox, neither would go to SP1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pieterw3

pieterw3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi Gellswor,

Did you use this URL for Service Pack 2 : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28 if you are still not able to download service pack 2 try downloading it from my skydrive here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=62072DD26DB3506B!5862&authkey=!AEWy6aMjyGIyl78

download the .zip file and extract the installer. (help with extracting .zip http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cf_extract.mspx?mfr=true )

Let me know if this solves your problem.

It would not be neccesary to reinstall XP if you are able to install the service pack. otherwise you could use this tool to extract the product key: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

My solution would not to even bother with a separate install of SP2, since you would still be well over 200 critical updates behind.

I would download SP3 to my desktop and then install it from there...then go to Windows Update and install all other critical updates (IE8 is included among these, I believe).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24 , just click the Download button.

Louis

#4 pieterw3

pieterw3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

True just looked it up. Did not even now you could skip a service pack in windows XP. But deffenitly install service pack 3 gellswor.

#5 gellswor

gellswor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Moderator, I will try the SP3 download when I get back to my aunts house. 

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

don't forget to create a restore point before doing any service pack upgrades, i had to learn that one the hard way

the service pack download itself whether sp2 or sp3 is a big one (.3 gb), so if you are on a slow connection, prepare to wait a while.

Edited by synergy513, 20 September 2013 - 11:09 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 gellswor

gellswor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I cannot get MS updater to install any updates.  When I select Windows XP, the browser locks up and quits responding.  I am thinking it is because the browser version is so out of date.

To be honest I am not sure if the PC is acting so quirky because there is a hardware issue or because all of the software is so old and out of date.  My intention was to install XP SP2 so that I can upgrade the browser, then see how it performs.  She just had FiOS installed to get a quicker connection.

PieterW3, you forwarded a key extractor.  Will this extract the key from a product disk?  I have the 'OEM' key from my aunts original purchase, but I don't think that will help with the disk that I have that has XP SP2 on it.

#8 captpicard61

captpicard61

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I would seriously download SP3 from another PC on a CD or DVD and use it to update the computer.  Once that is done you can run windows update to update SP3.  Right now you are a digital malware and virus honeypot.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Capticard has the right of it - use another computer to download the SP3 service pack - it's about 270MB as somebody else said - and install it from CD. I still have my old copy on CD because at the time I had about 4 computers to update with this and it was far quicker to write it once to a disc and install from that.

If by any chance you live in the UK, pm me with your postal address and I will send you a copy.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users