Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPAM email questions...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lyndzi23

Lyndzi23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

I have recently been receiving a new batch of SPAM emails in my AOL mail.  They are from random places like "home security" and "boost testosterone."  But when I click on the "from" area it shows for example:

"Health Center lyndzi23@penalinex.com."  My email is lyndzi23 but it isn't penalinex.com for an address.  So they are taking my email and sending it to me.  But would this be due to a website I may have visited or would someone have to put my email in somewhere to receive the SPAM, like someone wanting me to get a bunch of SPAM.  I can't think of anyone who would but what is the more logical reason?  In the subject line it reads, for example: "Vitality (lyndzi23@aol.com) Are you waiting for results?"  Very strange.  I don't want to change my email and I'll just keep moving it to my SPAM folder, but just wondering if anyone else has ever had this.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

That's just a very old spammer trick to try to get you to open the mail out of curiousity.  What you are seeing as the "Sender" has nothing at all to do with the actual origin of the email.  I could send you an email right now that looked like it was from the President, without a squeak even from my very legitimate ISP.  Outside of AOL and most webmail (where you can't change the sender), it's actually very common practice for legitimate mail to be sent "from" an address that doesn't match the true origin.  Relax.

However, you might want to edit your post to remove your real email address, unless you want to increase that spam load.  :-/

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Changing your password should fix the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users